SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lowspark1

Two failures in a row. I'm getting de-pressed! But I'll recover!

lowspark
14 years ago

We're doing our annual chef's table holiday event tomorrow night and traditionally we start with cosmos at my house before moving on to the restaurant (our hubbies drive us both ways so we can drink "responsibly").

So I found this great (I thought!) recipe for a cranberry daiquiri and thought it might be a nice change. Still red and servable in a martini glass so it met all the requirements. Part of the recipe involves making "drunken cranberries" which are cooked quickly in simple syrup, cinnamon and orange zest, then soaked overnight in that liquid plus rum. You then use the resulting liquid, along with rum and lime juice to make the daiquiri.

Well, ugh. The drink was bitter. I guess it was the cranberries. So much for that idea. I'm back to cosmos and I'll be tossing cranberries and rum. Bummer.

Next. I wanted to make biscotti for little gifties for my girlfriends. I picked a recipe from epicurious that included anise seed that sounded good. Well, I blew that recipe. As I took them out of the oven, seeing that they had spread out to flat flat flat, I remembered that I'd neglected to add in that last 1/2 cup (of the 4-1/2 cups) of flour. Oy.

Well, there was no way they were going to turn into real biscotti so I just sliced them and told my husband that my loss was his gain. I was going to just make another batch tonight but to be honest, after two failures, I'm not sure it's a good idea.

Instead I'm going to go with a T&T recipe. Annie's Molasses cookies. Man-o those babies are good!

And now it's snowing - in Houston (pix on conv page). They sent us home early from work so I'm going to go in and make the cookies in a few minutes. No more experiments for a while, I guess!!

Comments (7)