SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetchastity

Cat Scratching solutions or declawing?

sweetchastity
15 years ago

Dustin is settling in well and is a wonderful cat. I've got an appointment with a vet and will move forward with the neutering (he needs a check up first). Now I'm tackling the issue of scratching with him.

I've persuaded him to leave my chairs alone but he continues to claw on the side and under my bed (and claw his way up between the bed and the wall onto the mattress, lol). I don't care about the mattress really and the carpet doesn't matter because this house will be one day torn down, I'll be the last tenant but I think its important to address the matter now and provide him with the proper ways to satisfy his scratching urges so that I won't have to try to train him out of them later on.

I got a kitty condo with tower and the tower has rope around it but he seemed spooked by it and hasn't played on it. I've gotten him comfortable with it by placing his treats near, on and just inside so he can see its not a threat but he won't scratch on it. I have it on a step right now, supported with a stool, in front of the door to my deck. We get a lot of sun on that side of the house and the window comes out and is replaceable with a screen for some fresh air. I held him near the window and let him see the world out there (though the windows he sits in have a nice view and good space for him to sit, they don't offer fresh air). After a few minutes I gently put him on the top of the tower where he can sit and look out the window and even place his paws on the window sill and stand up to look out. Sitting on it he can see out so I'm hoping he'll get used to the home/tower by using it to look out the window.

This still leaves me needing a place for him to scratch. I got a carpeted pole to lean on the wall and even sprayed it with catnip essence and he just wasn't interested. I'm going to look at other possibilities as well as real, dried catnip. I was wondering what scratching posts/toys people have found useful and how to entice him to use them instead? Rubbing with catnip I hope will make them more appealing. When he scratches on my mattress I take him and put his paws on where I want him to scratch and scratch it with my fingernails. Then I give him a treat near it. Am I going about it the right way?

I know that some vets will offer a discount to declaw your pet when spaying/neutering but I don't really like that idea. Even though I plan for him to be an indoor cat, you never know when they might find a way to sneak out. He was in hallway pretty fast when I brought groceries home yesterday. I have heard from people who have cats that are declawed who say if a cat is attacked that it will use its back claws to defend itself. I still don't like it. But that is my opinion. My opinion may not be the best solution for him. Any thoughts on declawing? I want to have my mind made and be satisfied with my decision before a vet approaches the subject.

Comments (30)