SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mawheel

Cat Scratch

mawheel
12 years ago

While I was attempting to pick up my cat Maggie on Monday night, she protested and nicked me with a claw. It bled just a little and since this has happened before, I didn't think too much about it. However, by Tuesday evening, my left forearm was very red, rather swollen and hot. It didn't hurt, but itched. By Wed. morning, there were two streaks heading towards my shoulder. I called my doctor and was told that his only open app't. for the day was at 9:10--25 min. later. If I could get there, he could see me.

The trip usually takes about 30 minutes, but never knowing how traffic will be on the Interstate, and I live "across the river" in God's country, I knew I'd have to hustle. Looking pretty scruffy, I told DH "I'm headed to the doctor" and took off. I walked in the office at 9:10, exactly.

When he saw my arm, he said "I'm glad you didn't wait any longer". He put me on a very strong antibiotic and said if my arm hadn't shown marked improvement by Friday, I might have to go into the hospital! HOLY CATS!!! I got the prescription filled on the way home and have had three doses and will continue the med. for ten days. Thankfully, the arm is already less red, a little cooler and the red streaks have diminished.

I've always heard that cat scratches can be dangerous; sorry I had to learn the hard way. :>(

Comments (12)

Sponsored
More Discussions