SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Purple Reign! I made the choices; despite the clerks

caroline94535
16 years ago

I drove to the Hoity-Toity paint store and once again experienced "invisibility." Everytime I've gone in they act as if I'm not there. I'm clean, I'm neat. I normally wear jeans and sneaks, or khaki's and boots. I don't know why some clerks think I'm not serious about a purchase. I'm remodeling an entire house, including a kitchen, bathroom, front entry, sunporch, heating system, A/C, and plumbing. It seems as if they'd want my business.

I've gone in a couple of times to get a primer that was highly recommended on the Paint Forum. I was discussing red paints, but when the "color consultant" saw my Brand-X sample cards, he turned off the charm and got busy elsewhere. Okay, so four gallons of paint isn't going to make his week, but it was a decent sale that went to the competition instead.

I want to try this particular brand of paint in the sewing room; Hoity-Toity's is the only outlet for it, but on principal alone I don't think I'll buy from them again. Grand Forks, ND, is not exactly a cultural and artistic Mecca; I don't know why they developed the snooty attitude.

I came in today locked and loaded. I brought along the stained glass lamp shade, the pillow sham from the bedding, my favorite "Lilac Vapor" paint sample, and the purple cushion from the love seat. I ignored everyone. I went to the paint area and set all my purples out on the large table. I proceeded to pull samples and compare them to my items.

Finally, Salesman comes over and offers to "help." I told him what I was trying to do. I also told him I needed two gallons of the expensive primer, two gallons of the main trim paint, two gallons of the room colors, and one gallon of the sewing room's trim paint.

Seven gallons must be the magic number to be considered a customer. He became very helpful and even called Lowe's to double check a formula to mix a MS color in his paints.

As for the sewing room...drum roll please...I decided on a version of "Lavender Ice" for the wall color and "Yellow Freeze" for the ceiling. The trim, closet doors, and closets will be "Cotton White." I was concerned the Lavender Ice was a tad darker than I wanted, so he mixed it at 75% and wrote down the formula so he can easily match it if I need a second gallon.

As for the loveseat, it's color is still a bit off. I have a great sewing machine; I have a serger. As soon as the sewing room is ready for action, I'm going to make "perfectly coordinating" (LOL) fitted slipcovers for it. Until that time, I'll deal with it and love, love, love my wall color.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor