SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jayh_gw

water heater thermostat problem(?)

jayh
17 years ago

I have a GE Profile 40g gas water heater, approx date 1996, that seems to be in decent shape. Recent norester and power outage caused water to raise just about to the pilot light as it was snuffed out when I got back. The water level never got as high as the gas/thermostat control box but apparently was high enough to get to the pilot light inside the cylinder.

While the pilot light was out, I did a full flush, filled it, up, lit the pilot light, went to make dinner....

I come back later and I'm seeing moderate flow of hot water coming out of the TRP valve so I quickly shut the gas and the intake water.

Now, I don't know much about water heater repair other than as a user, so I'm wondering what could be wrong?

Now, with the gas off, if I turn the intake cold water on, I get water out of the TPR valve. But what do you think is going on with it triggering? A stuck themostat??? A bad "coupler" Somebody suggested a wet solenoid for the thermostat but as I said, the box itself did not get wet, but all the leads from the box (the pilot light gas, and the copper lead that is right next to it) got wet. Do you think my thermostat is shot and I need a new one or perhaps when I flushed it, some kind of sendiment got in the TPR valve and it's not setting properly. I went to Lowes and bought a new one but any suggestions on my problem or two?

Jay

Comments (3)