SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dando_gw

DIY Copper Countertop....ohboy

12 years ago

I sure hope I'm not the kind of person that likes the IDEA of copper countertops, instead of actually LIKING copper countertops.

Because...It's too late now. LOL!

The countertop base/underlayment is ready. The glue and all of the supplies are ready. The 1st copper sheet is laying in the floor ready to be cut.

Which, brings me to my 1st question.

I was messing around with the copper sheet last night.

0000 steel wool turns it salmon/new color easily...very light/fine scratches.

Mag/aluminum wheel cleaner does the same darn near instantly, no scratches. (if you have any old, dingy looking, dark colored BRASS lamp fixtures, door escutheons, etc......Mag wheel cleaner and 0000 steel wool will make them look almost new with NO elbow grease).

ANYWAY...I was rubbing my finger on an area that I had not cleaned. Darker color area, showing the start of "what copper does" (change color darker). I then looked at my fingers, and they had residue on them. So, I started just "hard touching" it....same thing, black metalic looking residue on my fingers.

The question? Is this to be expected EVERY TIME I touch this countertop? OR, does typical daily wiping it down and normal useage control this?

I'm not trying to keep it looking like new, I don't like that new look. I want it to change, and I don't intend to be "polishing" the countertop every few hours.

Wiping it down once a day, Like a normal countertop, and letting the copper "do it's thing" is what I had in mind.

BUT, will this stuff turn your fingers black every time you touch it from here on out?

Comments (2)