SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
munkos

Tylenol and Dogs.

munkos
16 years ago

While we were camping one of our friends had their Foxhound out there. He'd done something to make his hips sore the night before we came out and he was very stiff and lazy. He'd have bursts of energy in the morning and then after a small run he'd start to walk a bit funny again and prefered to just lay down. His last vet appointment they noticed his hips were off, but since they hadn't bothered him they weren't going to treat him and pump him full of unnecessary meds. But apparently they do bother him now.

She was all worried and I told her SPECIFICALLY if she had aspirin and ONLY asprin to give him a small amount to see if it helped. I told her no tylenol or ibuprofen or anything but asprin.

Then I went on a quad ride. When I got back she goes "I gave him a bit of tylenol, but it doesn't seem to be helping?" And I kind of just shook my head at her and told her NO TYLENOL and that she now needed to keep a very close eye on him because if his mood seemed to go even more downhill it could be the tylenol affecting him badly and she'd have to get him back to town.

My question is, how long after giving the dog the tylenol will she have to wait to be in the clear?? Can the adverse affects happen days or weeks later, or do they show up more immediate than that?? Does she need to get him to the vet (other than for his hips) or will he be okay?? I think she gave him childrens tylenol, the liquid kind.

Comment (1)