SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kris_m_gw

giving older dog ibuprofen for arthritis

kris-m
12 years ago

I have had many dogs through the years. As of today, I have three 14 year old friends. (Airedale,Dalmatian,Heeler)

I have had very good luck using ibuprofen to alleviate the arthritis in my Dalmatian. It has helped him tremendously in the last 5 months. I give him 1-200mg in the a.m. and 1-200 mg in evening. As a note, the otc bute is coated and I rinse off the gel coating then place pill on the corner of a slice of bread. I let the pill stand and dissolve a few minutes (it expands). I tear off piece and give it to him; letting him eat the rest of the slice right after.

Remember that my animals are in the last stages of their lives, and until they stop eating, drinking and wanting to get up, I will continue this regiment.

Don't be fooled into more expensive solutions if you don't have to. We should rely more on the old fashioned remedies, remembering that some work just as well as the new stuff.

P.S. I have tried baby aspirin and halved 325 mg aspirin as well. These did not have any effect on him. It does on my horses, however.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus