SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
circuspeanutgw

best tub drain type: lift/turn? toetap? chain?

Circus Peanut
16 years ago

hi folks,

I am in the process of outfitting a clawfoot tub for the first time. I merely have the tub (vintage, porcelain in great shape), but no plumbing.

The choice of overflow/drain assemblies is baffling me: there are lift/turn types, the type with a chain and rubber stopper, and a newfangled toe-tapper. I am intrigued by the latter, since it seems quite handy. But are any of these reputed to be more stable or solid in their design than others? Do any of them wear out more quickly? Recommended brands?

I'm definitely attracted to a one-piece solution, since I grew up with the spectre of grungy old rubber stoppers and encrusted chains, & would like to avoid these if I can, also since I'll be showering in the tub as well and trying to eliminate clutter.

And can anyone comment on the use of tower drains as an option? My bath is in the same 1922 style as my house, so I'm also attracted to these, and have seen some good deals on eBay, CL, etc. Is this tower type as functional as the others? Anyone know anything about code restrictions on them?

I thank you in advance for all expertise/input.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County