SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnnieb_dc

Tankless water heater problem

15 years ago

As part of a major home renovation, we created a master bedroom suite with its own water heater. We have a conventional water heater for the rest of the house (including a basement rental unit, one major reason why we wanted a separate hot water supply). Primarily to save space, and to avoid running a gas line, we decided to use an electric tankless water heater; it supplies hot water only to this bathroom.

Our contractor is still tweaking it--the water is not as hot as my partner would like, but I think that's a minor adjustment. The bigger problem is that if we run hot water at the sink at the same time as the shower, the water turns cold. And I mean COLD, as in no hot water at all.

And now here's the weird thing: running the shower alone there is no problem; the temperature sometimes fluctuates slightly, but doesn't turn cold. But using the faucet alone, without the shower running, the water invariably turns cold after a few minutes, then turns warm again, and continues to fluctuate.

I think our contractor is stumped and I'm starting to think the heater is faulty. Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this problem, and if it's something fixable??

Comments (6)