SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kg44_gw

Need advice re: rescued stray

kg44
16 years ago

My sister recently found a stray and has taken him in. Poor thing, he was eating cigarette butts he was so hungry and was covered with briars and stickers. Once they got him cleaned up, he appears to be part or full-blooded Scottish Terrier and is a male, already neutered. She already has a Jack Russell (neutered male) that is almost 4 years old.

Her Jack Russell is used to being an only pet, but we're not sure about the new dog. The two dogs have gotten along fine except when it comes to food. The new dog pinned the Jack down trying to get the Jack's food.

The new dog has also snapped and bitten my sister twice, both times on the face. Once she just picked him up and it made him mad, another time was when she thought he was finished eating something and he wasn't and she tried to pick him up.

She wants this to work out because she wants to help the dog, but is not sure what to do. What can she do about the snapping/biting other than spank the dog and reprimand him?

What about feeding? We have three dogs and have to supervise meal/snack/treat time, so I recommended feeding in separate rooms. The Jack doesn't always finish his food right when you put it down, though.

Comments (10)