SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Suggestions Needed Re: Itchy (Rescue) Dog

lynninnewmexico
15 years ago

Back in January, we adopted a 3 y/o dobie from a doberman rescue group. He was a dog whose family gave him up when their DD reached toddler age, so he wasn't roaming around outside and picked up as a stray. He was well cared for. Ronin is a really great, well-behaved boy and we've all bonded wonderfully with him and him with us.

My problem is that he seems to be scratching himself (all over, not in one specific spot)day and night. He wakes us up at night scratching, which goes on and on for several minutes.

Facts:

~ no changes in his food: we've kept him on the food he came with, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul. I don't know if the rescue people started him on this or his previous family.

We use Eagle Pack Holistic Select Duck & Oatmeal for our Tibetan Spaniel and we used it for our last dobie and both dogs loved this food. We haven't started Ronin on it only because we didn't want to disrupt his life any more than we had to these first few months after his adoption.

~ clean bill of health from our vet

~ no ticks or fleas/ we're not using a flea coller on him or the Frontline yet. Will start him on Frontline next week, so allergy to this is not the problem.

~ indoor dog, not kept outside

~ we bathe him ourselves every two weeks

~ shampoo we use: Perfect Coat Natural Oatmeal

Conditioner/Moisturizer: Mane & Tail Conditioner/ we use this sparingly after washing him in hopes that it will help moisturize his skin more. BTW, he came to us with a wonderful, healthy shiny coat and still has it with the shampoo we use.

~ we don't use any sprays to make him smell better (hate those!)

~ we brush him thoroughly at least four times a week with a natural bristle brush. He LOVES to be brushed! He does seem to itch a bit less for a few hours after brushing, but it doesn't last for long.

~ a week after his bath he starts to get dander showing up under his coat; brushing helps some

~ he has no skin lesions, etc.

~ no meds, but the doberman rescue people suggested we give him one fish oil capsule daily with a meal. They started him on it and we've faithfully given him one capsule every morning these past almost-3 months. I do believe that they started Ronin on this because of his constant scratching.

~ I wash his bedding once a month in hot water, with an extra rinse cycle to make sure all the Tide is washed out.

OK, I've tried to give you all the info I can think of, to help you all make some determinations/diagnoses. Can you tell I'm in (people) medicine myself? So, what do you think . . . any ideas?

Could his food be causing the itching? Any suggestions for a better food. Could he be scratching just because it's a bad habit he developed at his last home? Anyone use an amino acid product for this problem with your own dog?

Any and all suggestions will be very appreciated.

Many thanks!

Lynn

Comments (12)