SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
san__gw

dad--once a foodie, always a foodie!

san_
16 years ago

yesterday was my father's birthday. he's always been very difficult to buy for--i can think of WAY more things that should have worked but didn't, than the other way around...perhaps the most memorable of those was a small tin of beluga caviar that i had air shipped to him from balducci's, and included a serving dish and bone spoon to make sure things were just right for his 75th or 80th birthday. i won't touch the stuff but he LOVES caviar and i made sure he'd be home the day it was to be delivered and i could hardly wait to hear how he enjoyed it! well. he wanted to wait until he could share it with his friend tiiu and he wouldn't be seeing her for another 4 freakin' days! oh lord. when i called him the next weekend to ask how it was, he said "fine". turns out tiiu doesn't like caviar. and i said yeah, but i picked it out for you--did you enjoy it? "oh--it was good......" ARGH!

and so it goes. a few years ago i was packing up his christmas box (mainly clothes--there's nothing he needs and he hates to shop!) and he doesn't get out alot any more and i thought i'd just tuck a few "treats" in there. he always loved to snack in the evening so i bought some of those things i remembered him happily munching on--a rope of dried figs, always a box sophie mae peanut brittle during the holiday season, a couple of cadbury chocolate bars. well! except for the time i brought home a couple of lobsters for him, i'd never heard him sound so happy about a gift! so of course the last couple of years, i've sent home a box with some of his favorite goodies! he also loved popcorn but hates the microwave stuff and loves anything with caramel in it. so there was a package of caramel creams, the cadbury bars, reese's peanut butter cups, chocolate covered mint patties, etc, etc. i was on my way out of the store and spotted a bag of caramel popcorn. surely that would be the perfect thing to add to finish off his goodie box!

i called him a little while ago and he said thank you for the package and i asked if he'd sampled anything yet. he said, are you kidding? and i said great--what did you like? he said the chocolates were good. pause. but not the popcorn. i asked what was wrong with the popcorn and he said it was "dry". and "clumpy". and not the way popcorn should be. well. doncha' know i'll not be making THAT mistake again! he might be old but he was always very particular about his food and that hasn't changed a bit! happy birthday anyway, pop :)

Comments (13)