SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trekaren

My cat has tapeworm

trekaren
15 years ago

What a shock! We went to the pool last night for our neighborhood labor day party. Afterwards, I came home to find huge throwup in the hall, and Bindi was hiding under the guest bedroom bed.

Just like our kids, eh? Always happens on the weekend :-)

Anyway, we checked her out, and she was listless and drooling. I called the vet's oncall who said to get her to the emergency vet.

$225 later, they sent me home with 1 1/2 pills, told me to let her sleep off the anti nausea meds, and then get the pills into her today. Even as groggy as she still is, I have a few scars after that experience!!!

As luck would have it, she's scheduled for her annual checkup and shots next week. So I have a lot of questions for the vet.

It's so hard to figure out how this happened. I have always had Bindi and my older cat Ethel totally indoors. I guess it's possible to have fleas get in the house but I haven't seen any. I don't even know what to check for. At the very least, I will get some flea meds for both cats when I go to the vet this week. But from what I understand, the animal eats a flea and that's how they get the tapeworm.

And wow, the reading I have done this morning on the internet, the worm could be 6 inches long!! And the emergency vet last night said that animals can have the worm for a while before they get sick.

I know the text book answer is that the other cat can't have the tapeworm unless she also ingested an infected flea. But that's so hard to believe, when you consider they share litterboxes, wrestle all the time with each other, play with the same toys, nap in the same kitty ocndo.

Anyone else have experience with this nasty parasite? Or experience with fleas when all animals are totally indoor animals?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County