SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meggzz_gw

Urinary Blockage

Meggzz
12 years ago

The Friday before last, my male cat, Todd, had a urinary blockage. This is his second one this year. The vet said he had crystals blocking him, so they catheterized him and kept him over the weekend to make sure he wouldn't reblock. They gave me the Hill's Prescription Diet C/D and told me he would have to stay on it for the rest of his life. They also gave me antibiotics to give him. Alright, well this past week, he was a little bloated(?), but was urinating okay. He is acting normal..and just yesterday he started leaking urine and keeps cleaning himself. Do I need to take him back to the vet, or is this something he will get over..?? Last time he had to go to the vet about this, a few days after he came home, I had to take him back because he wasn't urinating right and the vet expressed him and said he wasn't blocked and was probably just sore from being catheterized and gave me more antibiotics to give to him. He wasn't leaking urine that time though. I had to express him some for a day or so after that until he started urinating normally. I've tried expressing Todd this time and nothing has happened.. He just gets angry with me when I try. Maybe I'm not doing it right, but I've researched how to do it online and it seems like I am. After I try to express Todd, he goes to the litter box and urinates some. I don't really understand how he is using the litter box and leaking too.

I'm a little concerned about my vet because all they told me this time was to watch and make sure he urinates. They didn't tell me what kind of crystals my cat had. I don't even think they did a urinalysis. It wasn't on the bill.. They didn't tell me how Todd might act when he got home, as in possibly being sore and not wanting to urinate right. I noticed when reading online about other people's cats who have had blockages that their vet sent them home with pain medicine for their cat too. Mine did not. I also read that their vets gave them Hill's Prescription Diet S/D to dissolve the crystals and then gave them Hill's Prescription Diet C/D to prevent them. Should my vet have done that?

I feel like if I take Todd back to them, they will say the same thing as they did when he blocked the first time or that they will think I didn't feed him his proper diet or something. I have given him all of his antibiotic dosages properly. He finished it yesterday. I keep his litter box clean and feed him the Hill's Prescription Diet C/D. I change his water often so that it stays fresh. I know he's drinking enough water because he sits at the water bowl a lot, just drinking away. I really hope he isn't blocked again. Maybe he's just feeling sore..or developed a UTI. I don't know.

What are your thoughts on all of this?

Comments (22)