SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilangel181

new: mnf ~ spring fling!

lilangel181
14 years ago

I know we all are not-so-patiently awaiting warmer weather. The first day of spring is officially March 20th, so this swap is to help your partner prepare for that glorious season! Anything you think would help with the gardening process, like planters, yard decor, tools, etc. You get the idea! BE CREATIVE!!! (And don't be afraid to be crafty with some DIY goodies too.) Please put in a nice note as well, with your name. Partners will be a surprise!

** Please send a medium sized flat rate box and email me the delivery confirmation.

** Sign ups will be until Saturday March 6th and boxes should be sent no later than Tuesday March 16th.

** Everyone is welcome to join, but if you are new to MNF please email me your name and address.

** We are a chatty group so please take a minute to stop in and say "Hello, I'm not dead" every now and then. This helps me keep up with people's progress on the swap, which is very important.

** HAVE FUN!!

~Laura

Comments (150)

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Carol, you still trading this month or should I rework the list?
    ~Laura

• veeja11
    14 years ago

I commited for this month and since I know I do have some who like me in this group I will stay for this swap then not sign up for future mnf swaps, unless dan and I make peace. I am confused I thought he was one of my children, I love him. maybe we will place him with my oldest daughter who just dosen't care for me, gonna miss my brownies tho since my stroke an bypass surgery I have been a lil late on mailing my boxes, but working on it

• Related Discussions

NEW: Incredible Edibles Spring Fling Salad Swap

Q

Comments (78)
    Hi everybody! I'm glad you're all happy with your seeds! It's always a lot of fun hosting these things and seeing all the different varieties that people send in, so thanks to all of you for participating! Garden_love, I got your package sent back to my address today. It looks like the label with your address came off, so the envelope had my address on it again (it was under the label). Anyhow, I'll send it back out tomorrow. Happy Gardening! -Julia
    ...See More

new: incredible edibles: spring fling swap

Q

Comments (40)
    Glad y'all had a nice weekend, mine was rather busy! DH works swing shift, so we went out to breakfast instead of lunch or dinner. Spent the rest of the afternoon with the boys, and going around delivering goodies to grandmas :-) Sunday night I started some of my tomato seeds :-) Very exciting :-) Lol, I know what you mean about so many great looking edibles! I have a few orders out myself, and have been looking at a couple of other places that I think can get an order to me in a reasonable amount of time....so many places are so backed up this time of year...lol, all of us ordering seeds :-) I am fine with partners being posted sooner.
    ...See More

NEW: The Petal Pushers 'Bring on Spring Fling'

Q

Comments (140)
    Shirley / Brittneysgran ~ ooohhh THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU!! I was soooo excited to see that mailman stop his truck today..lol I have been happily googling pics of everything and ooooh'ing and ahh'ing over it all!! Shirley shared with me: Clematis Nelly Moser Daylily Alpine Snow Daylily Splendid Torch Daylily Caprician Fiesta Bearded Iris Leprechaun's Delight Bearded Iris Spring Butterfly Bearded Iris Champagne Elegance Sedum Clown Sedum Matrona Siberian Iris Rikugi Sakura Siberian Iris Frosted Cranberry Lily of the Valley Crocosmia Emily Mackenzie Bath Salts, Note Pads, Sharpie Markers and Post-it Notes! ohh Thankyou Shirley so very much I am just in awe and so very excited over these! You did a wonderful fantastic FABULOUS job picking out items I just love! Thankyou!! Karen - I was thinking of you yesterday as I was planting out a nice assortment of seeds you sent me once in a sasbe I believe.. I just wanted to say thanks again they will all be a wonderful addition!! Also, I finally received confirmation that my shipment will arrive between May 4th thru 8th. ARGHHH!! Hopefully Karen, that will work for even better for your zone? I'm sorry it's past the deadline but my hands are tied until it's received. *I will be offline starting tomorrow until possibly May 4th. Just wanted to let you all know. Thanks!! Wendy
    ...See More

2015 Spring Fling Anyone?

Q

Comments (63)
    I agree with the others. Just bring yourself and don't worry if you don't have seeds or plants to spare. Every single one of us was new at some point and didn't have extra plants or seeds to share, and that's okay. After you've attended your first Spring Fling, you'll have a better idea of what to expect in future years, but some things remain constant----and one of those things is that there's always so many different plants there (not just raised from seed, but obtained by dividing perennials, digging up volunteers, etc.) that the folks who brought them are pleading with people to please take them and give them a good home. The door prizes can be anything too, and don't even have to be new. There's usually a nice assortment of both useful and decorative garden items, gardening gloves, hand tools like trowels or different kinds of weeders, flower pots, etc. Sometimes someone will bring home-canned goodies from their garden to share, or handmade artisan soap or crafts they've made, or fresh eggs from their chickens or anything else you can imagine. One year George brought a bottle of fresh milk from his goats. The Spring Fling is just like a box of chocolates----you never know what you're going to get. Most of all, though, you get a gardening family. Non of my siblings garden, but being at the Spring Fling reminds me every year that I do indeed have a whole extended family of gardeners, which is just the best thing on earth.
    ...See More
  • dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Carol, I accept your apology. If we all had been in an actual room, you probably would've been able to read my body language, which would've tipped you off about how I've felt about some of the comments you've made in the past few months, you trying to make a joke, and me not taking it as one. Then you would've stopped, and probably cornered me alone somewhere and asked me what was wrong. We'd have talked, and things would've been fine. That's one of the dangers of only being able to communicate online, all we have to go by is the words we type.
    I won't be returning to the MNF group, at least, not any time soon. I'm tired of wondering if everyone will fulfill their obligations, of people wanting to change the guidelines a host sets for a swap, and jokes gone awry. When I read the cat litter cookies comment, it felt like I was being badgered into swapping a box, like I wasn't allowed to take a month or three off from trading boxes. I know people have probably gotten used to me doing so since I've been an active participant in almost every swap for the past two years, but sometimes everyone needs to step back, and it felt like you weren't allowing me to do that. I was confused about that because you've always been one of my biggest supporters, but, that is the way I felt.
    I do accept your apology, and I'm hoping to continue to be friends.
    Perhaps you were there to be what I needed to finally decide to step out of the MNF group, for a few months at least, and quit just thinking about it. I don't know.
    Let's just keep moving forward, shall we? Forgive, forget, and move on... that's the best thing to do.

Hugs,
    -Dan

p.s. I'm going to post this on the current MNF thread so people will know there are no hard feelings between us. I did want to send you a personal e-mail first though.

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I love love. It's so lovely. I also love MNF bingo... I-28!
    ~Laura

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

I think the bingo cards are rigged....
    Mine is blanker than the look on my face when hubby asked "Where's the big-long-tool-word-that-I-have-no-idea-how-to-pronounce-much-less-what-it-is?"

Yep.

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

HAH! I have two!..."passing out heart cookies for everyone with pink and red sprinkles"

• dirt_under_my_nails
    14 years ago

I have three counting the bunny in the middle!!

later...April

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

YAY numbers! (and cookies!) Here, have G-51 also.
    ~L

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

*tossing defective bingo card over my shoulder*

Ooooh, cookies!!!!

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

B-4 you toss it out the window check for B-4! (hehe, I like play-on words!)

*WARNING* *NOTICE* *AOOOOOGAAA*
    Don't forget you have just over 24 hours to join in the swapping fun! Need/ want garden supplies for spring planting? THIS IS YOUR RR! The first day of spring is only 14 1/2 days away... that's only two weeks, people!!!
    ~L

• Debra Andruska
    14 years ago

Only 14 1/2 days away until Spring! I can't wait! I'm so tired of snow! Our yard still has some snow. It's finally warming up this week (mid 40's) yay!

If you have room for one more swapper, please include me! I'm sooo ready for this swap! I'm going to a local HUGE greenhouse next week, so I'm sure I'll find LOTS of goodies/supplies to add to my box.

Deb

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I-22
    Welcome to the swap Deb, I sent you an email. Just 12 hours ish to join in! That makes the current participants list:

Laura (me)
    Linda
    Melissa
    Ellie
    Darrin
    Carol
    Deb

Make sure I didn't forget anyone, and remember your medium box should be sent out (with DC# emailed to me) NO LATER THAN Tues 16th.
    Please and thanks,
    ~Laura

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

O-63 and counting!

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Man... yall have been strangely silent for partner's day! I sent everyone an email with the name and address of who they will be sending to. If you didn't hear from me let me know and I can resend it. Also, I'm on spring break this week so if you have any questions for/ about your partner just let me know and I'll see what I can do to collect that info! Sneaky, sneaky!

G-46
    ~Laura

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

I have a partner, I have a partner and I'm not telling!!!.."dancing all around".....

• mikey-gardener
    14 years ago

Laura,I am still as green as sprig time grass when it comes to this MNF and the swapping thing, BUT still interested in it and playing bingo with you all.
    Those hen and chickens are growing like crazy with all the love and attention that is being given to them, thank you for asking. How do I find out who my partner is that I sent a package to, or who would be the lucky or unlucky one?

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Mikey, I'm sorry but I didn't know you wanted to swap. The cutoff to announce your swapping intention was yesterday, so I paired people off today. Live and learn (read through some early logs to see what I mean about 'announcing you want to swap'), but if you want I can do a side trade with you. Same rules as everyone else, so you get the feel for it? Medium box full of "getting ready for spring" stuff, to be sent out no later than the 16th. Sound good?

It helps to check the boards "early, and often" as they say. At least with this group it also helps to post once in a while. Lets people know you're still around and what you've been up to. Glad you like Bingo and that the hens-and-chicks are getting some great TLC.

Post here what you think about that trade. I'm sure these fine ladies (and our few gents) will help take spring-green-grass you under the collective wing!
    ~Laura

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

"passing out brownies and tea"...

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yummy, thanks Linda! Where is everyone lately? Tonight's bingo number is *drumroll please* O-64. That again is oh-sixty-four.
    ~Laura

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

I think the break in the snow has everyone out with spring fever!

• dirt_under_my_nails
    14 years ago

I'm 1 away from bingo....AND it's going to be 70 here tomorrow!! I'm off to dig out my flip-flops!!!

later..April

• prayerrock
    14 years ago

oh I just missed the cut off for this..darn it!

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

we'll be having another one next month, please keep checking!

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good morning. G-58

My wild birds are out in full force lately, probably with the nice weather. There is a very pretty pair of downy woodpeckers who have claimed my suet feeders! I think its a male and female, so maybe this year I'll see baby-peckers? That would be very neat. Also, my indoor light setup is going strong, and the large leaf basil has sprouted! Yummy yummy pesto, here we come! How is everyone else doing?
    ~L

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

I"m sick today..caught something from my husband. I'm going back to bed till I feel better,...yuck..and what RAELLY ticks me off is that it's absolutley beautiful outside!.."grumbling under breath"

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

MY BOX IS ON IT'S WAY!!! YAY!!!!!
    Just mailed it out this morning....won't tell where it's going, though! :P

Awww, Linda...hope you feel better soon!
    *handing you some chamomile tea with honey*
    That should do the trick. That, and LOTS of rest today!!

The weather has been beautiful here, too. Yesterday it was around 65 degrees, so I spent all day outside doing yard work. Can't tell it from looking, though. LOL We've still got tons of trees to clean up from that ice storm last year, so we were taking down the one closest to the house that was left in pieces. It was only 20 ft away from the house, and it's a HUGE tree. Nearly gave me a heart attack, it missed the house by just a foot! ACK! Still haven't gotten the repairs done from the damage the first time around, don't need any more, thank you!! :o)

THEN, my oldest was up all night with an upset stomach. UGH. Our bedroom is right next to the bathroom, and I tell you what....there is NOTHING worse to wake up to than the sound of someone retching. ICK.
    What's aggravating is that ALL the kids have a dentist appt this morning, and I called to let them know one of them was sick. They said we could reschedule, but since there are 6 kids they had to cut out 2 hours in their schedule for them, so they'd have to charge us for that. #*$&@*#@& was my answer. So I just said "we'll be there, but I warned you".
    Poor people. LOL
    I'm just not sure if it's a stomach virus or if he just drank too much pop yesterday. Grandma brought up some root beer, and the kids never get pop at home, so it was a big treat for them. I think he just went overboard on the sweet stuff, honestly.

Oh, well. We'll see if anyone else comes down with it today or tomorrow. Yippee.

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

*Brings out the stockpot* Chicken soup to go around. Everyone gets a bowl, no need to push I'll make more! I hope everyone feels better soon!

And as long as I'm here... O-66
    ~L

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

chicken soup is good..."slurping"..still feel lousy...I'm not a very good sick person, makes me grumpy...

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

So far, so good! No one else is feeling puny yet. LOL
    AND only 2 of my munchkins need fillings. Yay! That's less than half! :o)

Laura~ I am worried about how soon my box will get to where it's going. Remember the last MNF swap it took a week for my PRIORITY box to get to Margo? And it's been almost a week since I mailed my box to Carol in the OBF swap, and the DC doesn't say it's been delivered yet.
    Anyway...as hostess of the swap, I just wanted you to know that my boxes seem to be stuck in molasses for some reason. LOL Good thing it's not plant swapping season yet. I may use FedEx for that!! :o)

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

B-13

*Tucks Linda into bed* Being sick means you're allowed to be grumpy.

Melissa, according to the DC# you gave me it was accepted in the Tontitown (hehe, that's fun to say!) post office at 9:35 this morning, so I'm not worried. At least it's been checked in promptly like the good postal workers say it should be! If it still takes a while maybe check with them as to why. At least then you'll know before plant season.

I'm off to pick up a box from the PO but I'll be back to pass out OJ and zinc tablets later.
    ~Laura

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

WOOHOO I have Tulips and Hyacinth's coming up. Spring is here Spring is here * Jumping up and down with a huge grin*!!

Heidi

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

O-67

How is everyone feeling today? *Sets out a table and chairs* OJ, tea, coffee and pancakes for breakfast. You all need your strength!

Carol, I re-sent that info for you. Let me know you got/ didn't get it, please.

We're having highs in the 50's all week *hops up and down*. I hope that lasts.
    ~Laura

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

I've learned that being accepted doesn't mean a thing, Laura! LOL
    I have no idea what goes on at my post office, but I am going to check into it if it happens again. I know that I've gotten priority packages that had taken 2 weeks to get to me, so I don't know if they just like to hold 'em there & use them as footstools or what. Grr.

Today is supposed to be near 70 degrees, so I'll be outside with the kiddos as much as I can. Between loads of laundry and other equally fun stuff. Supposed to start storming soon, though, so we'll just enjoy it while we can. :o)
    I think I'll pull up a log and sit on our new "patio" that was created when we took out the falling-down carport! It'll actually be a very nice patio if we ever get some outdoor furniture. Logs will suffice for now, though, since we've got those in abundance! LOL Gonna pull my container plants around there this week, too, so it'll be quite nice, I think.

Linda~ Are you feeling any better today? Watch out for that OJ Laura just set out.....I've seen some suspicious goings on at the breakfast table this morning....and I've heard that vodka is odorless....
    Hmmmmmm.

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

"snuffling"..well, I feel like I"ve been beat with a board. I just woke up after a 4 hour "nap" on the couch. I think I'll take a shower and clean up. Maybe I"ll have some of that Oj and pancakes..sounds pretty good right about now...and it's really pretty outside. I think I"ll sit in a sun spot and order some seeds...stupid cold virus thingy..."grumble"

• Debra Andruska
    14 years ago

Linda,
    Rest is the best thing for you! Vitamin C tabs help too, take one or two if your around someone that is sick. Usually it passes you by, or you get a really light case of it. If you start taking the c's when your sick (again, one or two) it helps speed up your immune to fight off the cold/flu virus. C's have saved me sooo many times!
    I'm anemic so watch carefully about being around sick loved ones. Someone has to do everything (and feed us, LOL)

I have my swap Pal's name! Working on the box right now.
    This is so fun, I haven't swapped in a while. I'm sooo ready for spring! The other day it was 45* whoo hooo, warm weather to me! It's been dreary, rainy and chilly. We still have patches of snow in the yard! I can't even think of planting pots of stuff yet- until MAY. Ugh- even then we have to watch for frost. May 1st used to be our safe planting time- but now it's the 15th.

Better go check dinner- I have the beef stew up too high, it smells like it's burning! Ugh!

Deb

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

B-5
    Good evening everyone, dinner is served! *passes around enchilada casserole with big dollops of sour cream*

Care for some company on that patio, Bunny? *Pulls up a log*

Linda, if it makes you feel any better my 'naps' take 4 hours anyway. That's why I never take them. Have you tried "Airborne"? It tastes icky (dissolve it in as little water as possible, then chug!) but it has something like 1,000% vitamin C, zinc and a bunch of other useful things.

Deb, beef stew sounds yummy! I can't plant anything in my containers either, right now. I uncovered them to thaw in the sun, and brought inside the ones I can plant something different in.

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good morning all you bingo bums... N-36
    ~Laura

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Okay, I haven't had a bingo number in soooooooooo long. Where's Mr Rufus? Is he feeling better yet?? :o)

Nap? What is this thing you speak of called a NAP? I've never heard of it! LOL!

Airborne is good stuff, for sure! I like Emergen-C as well. It comes in different flavors, so you can add it to juice (my hubby adds his to sweet tea...but he's weird). It has tons of vitamin C, plus all the B vitamins. It always makes me feel better within a few hours.
    They even have a regular vitamin variety for kids, too. I take that when I can't stomach my prenatals.

Where IS everyone? Seems very quiet lately. I guess they've all got spring fever. Can't blame them, really. I would be outside right now, but I"m doing the bills (a-hem)...ICK...

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mr. Rufus is asleep in my lap right now. All 16 pounds 2 ounces of him! He had his re-check-up yesterday and got a clean bill of health. Apparently I was giving him too much water mixed in his food (to prevent another urinary blockage) and he was close to becoming 'water toxic'. The vet said she had never seen a cat enjoy so much water mixed in the food (it's cat-food soup) and was very clear that she "Had never told an owner to decrease the water intake of a urinary blockage cat". Now that we know the problem it's an easy fix, thank goodness!

Zoe says hi too. She stopped in for a quick cheek scratch before heading off to the bedroom for a snooze. She also told me to tell yall O-75 :)
    ~Rufus, Zoe, and their momma

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

still sick..still no new bingo numbers....still grouchy.."L"

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I-17
    I hope everyone's day is going well (or at least better!) I had a fan-tab-u-lous day... got some errands done, both basil types and a tomato have sprouted, chatted with my new neighbors Rich and his wife (whose name I forgot) AND did some planting of last year's dahlias and a few of the goodies from my box!

Did I say box? Heck yes I did! Mrs. Speedy-Gonz-Bunny had her DC# emailed to me before I had even finished passing out partners, and I must say SERIOUSLY outdid herself! Here is the list:
    Chocolates
    Lavender-Vanilla "pillow mist"
    Raspberry Sorbet reed diffuser
    2 sampler packs of tea
    memo pad booklet
    Avon moisture therapy creme
    2 coconut husk suet feeders
    Burt's Lip Balm (I'm a Burt's-a-holic!)
    2 magazines titled "Garden Design"
    2 very pretty yard stakes
    4 colorful pot hangers
    a bamboo and metal windchime (hanging outside)
    baggies for seeds
    seeds- calendula, bunny tail grass, mexican sunflower, pansies, petunias & wildflower mix
    and last but not least... bulbs- freesia & triteleia queen fabiola (Planted them both!)

I love it all, thank you so much! *Hugs and squishes back!*
    ~Laura

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Oh, wow! It got there when it was supposed to! Yay! :o)
    Glad you enjoyed everything, Laura! I was worried about the wind chime, since I had to take it out of it's box to mail it. It was bigger than I had thought, and it was touching the sides of the box pretty tightly (I'm sure you noticed!).
    Anyway- have fun watching the birds at the feeders & I hope the flowers grow well for you!

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

"news flash"..I have eaten a bowl of CRISPEX!,,,"bells and whistles"...LOL

I'll be working on my box tomorow. I don't want to infect my swap partner and I should be back to myself (which could be good or bad, depending on your point of view) tomorrow.

Wonderful box BunnY!!

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Mmmm, Crispex! Go, Linda, go!! LOL! Glad you're feeling better!

I have some terrible news....I have been told that I can't have any more coffee! *sob* OR hot tea! *sniff*
    AT least until the munchkin gets here. (only 6 more weeks!! but it FEELS like forever!!) And I only have 2 cups a day!
    BUT..I have been having the horrible acid-reflux stuff, WAY worse than usual heartburn. Ya know, where you wake up in the middle of the night, with pure stomach acid in your throat? The watery, burning, disgusting stuff?
    Oh My Goodnes, I have been up every night for the past 2 weeks with that!! It was so bad last night that I threw up for 2 hours straight. UGH.
    And nothing helps. I've tried elevating my bed, sleeping halfway sitting up, eating TUMS & bread, milk, frozen yogurt...even bananas & peaches, because someone told me those worked for them. I don't eat for 4 hours before bedtime, and I haven't had spicy food in months.
    So this is a last ditch effort, I guess. Between the 2 cups of coffee (decaf even!) & the stress....coffee is easier to cut out. LOL

UGH...wish me luck!!!! :P

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

have you tried peppermint?

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

N-37

Yay Linda and the Crispix!

Bunny- Chew on some raw ginger or dried ginger candies in the evening. My grandma told me once that it works like a charm.

How is everyone's boxes coming along? You've all been so silent about them! My *secret someone's* box will be going out this weekend at the latest I think. I never know what to do for guys, so I'm not positive on what to put in Mike's box. That one is about half done. Either way please remember that the 16th is coming up fast!
    ~Laura

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Hey, I FINALLY have another bingo number! Yay! It's no where near where I need it, but still....!

I've tried peppermint, but it makes it worse. (works great for morning sickness, though!) And I can't use ginger, it makes me nauseous! Ain't I the weird one? It does to me exactly what it's supposed to fix! It's the same way with licorice, which is supposed to help tummy issues, too.
    If I had a peach tree, I'd try chewing a twig of it- my daddy always says that helps him- but I don't, and neither do my neighbors. (but they already think I'm a bit strange, so if I asked them for a peach twig to chew on, that just might confirm it...LOL)

Any other ideas, though? I'm willing to try anything at this point. I haven't been able to eat anything all day. My tummy is grumbling louder than my 13yr old that's doing dishing right now!!

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Awesome box!!

I cleaned up some leaves yesterday so my Daffodils can get more sun. I can't believe it's the middle of March already.

Heidi

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

HAH! The snow is almost gone and I see sprouts of daffodils coming up..."dancing all around"..I say tea and brownies for everyone!!

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    14 years ago

O-61.
    Duncan pulled that one for yall, so if you don't have this mornings number blame him *grins*. Glad to see everyone is getting sprouts! I'm going to post a new thread soon, so everyone keep an eye out.
    ~Laura