SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lablover4ever

Need help real fast!

lablover4ever
16 years ago

My friend just got a little lab puppy today and we were trying to brush the dirt out of it's fur but then we noticed it was not dirt specks at all but real small ticks. We went to 3 different towns lookign for something that could be used on a 6 week puppy but everything said 8 or 12 weeks and the Advantix that we almost bought was for 7weeks but the lady said the 4 days could make a difference so we did not get it. We have spent hours & hours picking those tiny little ticks off but there is so many we can not get them all. We scrape with our fingernails and use tweezers and we even tried to use tape to pick them up which does not work. Help what can we use in the way of some kind of product or if not that then some other easier way to get them off. We do not mind having to pick but we can not get them all like this they are too little and in places that are hard to pick at like top of head and in the armpit. Please someone give some ideas.

And also will little ticks like that get all in the house and grow to adult size and infest the house? The puppy was all over the house and furniture before we knew they were ticks. Thanx!

Comments (23)

• laurief_gw
    16 years ago

You need to go to the vet and get some Frontline or another tick med recommended by the vet for a puppy that young. Do NOT use any product you can buy at a retail store on the puppy. Many of those products are highly toxic and have been implicated in the poisoning deaths of many pets.

Until you get the med from the vet, just keep picking as many ticks off the puppy as possible.

Laurie

• lablover4ever
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello Laurie thanx very much but he is too young for frontline. If he was 4 days older he could have Advantix put on him. The lady said just the 4 days at his age could make it dangerous. Any other ideas? My friend is still picking. What about a home remedy of some kind that is not toxic???
    Thanx on retail store stuff. I knew about Hartz.

• Related Discussions

Hot compost pile cooled down REAL fast...

Q

Comments (14)
    Im thinking after reading this two things. One my pile wasnt big enough in the first place and second after getting it to 130 and not getting it there again all winter that by spring it was done. Also Ive read that once your pile is finished that when it cools then worms move in and finish the pile actually making it darker. Im also gathering that especially at first you should turn it every 3-4 days and that the turning process during this period will help heat it up. Im just not sure how to gather more debris for keeping the pile hot once the pile start going down.
    ...See More

wood floors-need help fast!

Q

Comments (11)
    Don't do it! It definitely sounds like an engineered floor to me...and though engineered floors can be as beautiful as a solid wood floor WHEN NEW, you can't really refinish them in the "traditional" way. They can only be screened and sanded - and then, usually only once. Our home had beautiful brazilian cherry floors but because they're engineered, we're living with them dull and a bit scratched, so we can use that one time sanding before we sell. And believe me, it is driving me NUTZ doing that because I had the "real deal" before and was very used to refinishing when ever the floors looked a bit worn! Get what you ordered and don't settle for anything else.
    ...See More

Cat Box Project -- Need Help Fast

Q

Comments (24)
    I have a couple of cats who treat the litter box like a urinal. :( Even though they're neutered, they seem to be competing to see who can spray the highest -- fortunately, only in the litter box. I bought the largest plastic tote bin I could find. I cut a 6" high cat-access hole in one of the short sides, starting 7" from the bottom. I also cut an 8" x 12" hole in the lid a few inches back from the access hole. This lets in light, and keeps them from feeling trapped (cats like to always have an alternative exit). Then I filled it with a few inches of kitty litter, and clamped the lid on. Voila! Everything stays in the box, including the spray. I usually have to wipe down the inside of the lid when I scoop the box. But it sure beats having to clean the wall and floor! If you still have trouble with a cat hanging his rear out the access door when he does his stuff, you might get a smaller tote bin to put inside the big one. Cut the access door the same size and place, but leave the lid off the smaller tote. That allows for a space -- a sort of a mess lock -- between the inner door and outer door. You still have to clean that space when he misses, but at least the nasty stuff doesn't go on the floor. Pro tip: the easiest way to cut holes in plastic tote bins is to melt them with a soldering gun or iron with a small tip. Do it outdoors, because it makes noxious and possibly toxic smoke.
    ...See More

Sudden opportunity to travel, need help fast!

Q

Comments (2)
    We stayed at this agriturismo Villa Il Crocicchio in Tuscany. Gorgeous. They grow grapes and olives, make their own wine and olive oil. We had the two room apartment. Not fancy, but loved the experience. Real Tuscany. If you've never been to Italy before, I can't imagine going without seeing Venice, Florence, and Rome. We had the best food in Venice...seeing David took my breathe away, and Rome....Oh, my Rome! Sigh!
    ...See More
  • lablover4ever
    Original Author
    16 years ago

O yeah I should have said that 3 of the places we went was Vets but they have nothing for that young of dog. There must be some thing that can be used and not be toxic to a little puppy???

• suzieque
    16 years ago

Are you sure they're ticks? Have any embedded themselves an engorged? Might they be fleas?

Sorry if that's a stupid question.

• debd18
    16 years ago

Tiny ticks may be deer ticks which can carry Lyme disease. These ticks always remain very small. The puppy will need testing and everyone in the house should check each other to see if any got on you. They can be hard to see, so research symptoms so you can watch for it and also check with your dr. about whether you should be tested. Untreated the disease can sometimes become serious, but antibiotics given early on can get rid of it.

• laurief_gw
    16 years ago

If three vets can't come up with anything safe and effective for a puppy that young, then I would have to assume that there is nothing safe to use on him. Your friend is just going to have to pick them off by hand.

May I ask why this puppy was taken away from his littermates and mother so early? Is your friend aware that weaning before 8 weeks of age may result in lifelong socialization problems for the puppy?

Laurie

• groomingal
    16 years ago

Use a flea comb and I think maybe you are talking about seed ticks (or what we call seed ticks) They are super tiny but they are more visible once they have had a chance to feed- if that is what they are I have never gotten one on me and don't think they bite on humans. They are a pain to get rid of and sometimes just a bath in plain water will help get rinse out of the fur if they are not latched on.

• lablover4ever
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes we are sure they are ticks on the puppy and so far we have not found any of them on us but when we had the puppy in our lap and they got on the towels. We have been picking picking picking all day and all nite giving the puppy nap time sometimes. When we think we have most of them then we see lots and lots on the blanket he is sleeping on but we have stopped for tonite.
    Laurie is that really true cuz the puppy came from the shelter and they must know if that were for real. I got my dog when he was 8 weeks old but that is cuz that is what the breeder wanted to wait until they were 8 weeks old.
    We used a flea comb and it helped some but the tweezers did best. I hope they do not bite humans cuz I feel creepy crawly and need to take another shower. My dog will be ok cuz he is on frontline right? I do not want to take a chance of him getting sick from that puppy.
    My friend will call the shelter and raise H$!! tomorrow when they open. How can they not know about these ticks?

• laurief_gw
    16 years ago

Frontline will not prevent ticks from getting on and biting your dog. It will, however, help to kill ticks after they bite your dog, but it's not 100% effective even then. According to a vet on another pet forum, Advantix does very little or nothing to control or kill ticks. That same vet recommends the Prevent-tic collar in combination with Frontline for tick control, but the Prevent-tic collar is somewhat toxic and not safe for use around cats or very small or young dogs. The Prevent-tic collar is an actual tick repellent, so it should prevent ticks from even getting on your dog.

Yes, it's really true about puppies (and kittens) requiring AT LEAST 8 weeks of socialization with their mothers and litters before weaning. If the puppy was as heavily infested with ticks as reported, obviously the shelter is poorly run. They probably don't care (or don't know) about the long term effects of early weaning. They just want to get the animals out of their shelter as quickly as possible.

Laurie

• arkansas girl
    16 years ago

I don't know how "expert" my advice is but if that were my dog the first thing I would have done is bathed and bathed him with Joy dish detergent. I don't remember where I've read it but something about the lemon in it gets rid of flea really good but still I'd have tried to drown those nasty ticks off. I've probably given a million dog baths in Joy and even several cat baths too and this has never made anyone sick and they've all live quite long lives. I do know that I've read about using Joy to give dogs baths quite a few times over the years. I guess research it to make sure there are no warnings about it. But when I had my dogs I kept Joy just for dog shampoo. They never got any skin irritation from Joy either...it seems like I recall the articles saying something about the ph was good in Joy but I/they could be wrong...

• lablover4ever
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Laurie we will have to check into that about Advantix cuz it was one of the things you can use at 7 weeks old. Mebbe my friends puppy will not have problems. I am so glad that I did not get my dog until he was 8 weeks old. He is a good dog and is better behaved than lots of other dogs I see.
    We used dawn Arkansas. That it some thing we were told to try which helped float off a few of them. The puppy would get cold and shiver but we did try baths twice. I think that was too much. He still has some ticks on him tho. We got most of them but will get the rest of them today.

• arkansas girl
    16 years ago

I don't know about Dawn...I just know that Joy is the one that was specifically named.

Good luck...I'm sure you'll get them nasty old critters eventually! If any do get on your dog, the frontline will kill them. I'd suggest to vacuum the carpet and furniture real good too!

• joepyeweed
    16 years ago

I think a good soapy bath would do wonders. A natural soap product is a mild insecticide. I think if the ticks are not attached, that a good thorough washing would help. It might not get all of them, but your goal at this point may be to reduce the numbers until the pup is of an age where it can take some frontline.

Look for an organic soap with neem oil in it. Buddy Wash makes such a product but I am sure there are others.
    Do a web search for botanical oil tick repellent... I bet you find something...

I found this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Botanical Citronella Shampoo

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    16 years ago

When we took out pup to the Vet when we first got him at 6 weeks, he had a tick. The Vet took care of it. He said they used the word dip, but they actually gently sprayed something that was very safe, then bathed him. I don't understand why your Vet would not take care of your dog.

Sammy

• quasifish
    16 years ago

Along the lines of bathing... try baby shampoo. It works mostly the same as any other soap, but it won't strip the skin of oils. Some of us gardeners use baby shampoo in our gardens because of it's bug killing ability. As I recall, the fatty acids in the soap breaks down the buggy's central nervous system and kills them. It would probably work best if you could soap up puppy and let him stay lathered for 15 minutes or so.

Q

• yborgal
    16 years ago

Were you able to find something to get rid of the ticks?
    What did the shelter say about the pup's tick problem?

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

How big are these ticks, and how many are there? I would get those ticks off as fast as I could--shaving the dog if necessary, so I could see them and get at them. Ask the vet about the wisdom of doing that. They can be killers, depending on how many there are of them and the dog's condition.

In Japan, about 15 years ago, we had a dog with long thick fur who got infested with teensy ticks--hundreds--maybe thousands of them--and we never knew it until too late, and she died.

She was a 6-year-old, very healthy dog, but began to have convulsions once in a while. At first a vet thought she had epilepsy, then that she had kidney damage from being poisoned. But where we lived, it was impossible for her to have been poisoned.

It was a bad year for dog ticks, and we didn't know that there could be hundreds of them lurking on the underside of a leaf of grass, even. And they were so tiny that even if one got on your hand, you wouldn't know it was a live creature until you saw it moving. The last time I took our dog to the vet, I noticed lots of small ticks on the floor of his waiting room. They had gorged on her blood and fallen off, and now they were big enough to see--like pepper grains. She died that day on the way home in our car.

The vet denied that the ticks could have been responsible, but later I read that each tick has a tiny amount of venom, so it is my opinion that the venom from the bites of thousands of tiny ticks could have poisoned her. It infuriated me some weeks later to hear the same vet telling another pet owner that ticks could poison their dog. He never admitted it to me, but I feel sure I was the one who gave him the idea.

If I had known then what I learned from Pepper's death, I would have clipped her and shaved her all over and made sure of getting rid of as many ticks as possible. But we didn't know ticks could be so small, having always seen only medium to large ones on her that she would pick up on a walk, and it was easy enough to pick them off.

Before we got another dog that year, we got a device that burned weeds and burned all the dirt in our yard, while I took white rags and wiped under every plant leaf that had suspicious fuzzy brown stuff (infant ticks) clinging to its tip. Then I would get them off the cloth using duct tape or else burn it.

I would vacuum and use sticky tape and do anything possible to get rid of any ticks in the house. They probably won't drop off the puppy until they have finished their meal, so your friends has a few days' leeway. Of course, it was dog ticks in Japan that I had that experience with, and the ones on your friend's dog may be a different kind.

Sorry for the horror story, but I hope it may help someone else. I hope your friend's puppy does well.

Pepper:

• lablover4ever
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am so very sorry that you lost your dog to ticks. That is just terrible! I am glad my friends dog is ok. Yeah they were very tiny tiny ticks and looked like dirt at first. We picked every single one of them off and it took 3 days to get every one. The lady at the shelter acted like she was in shock about this. We have a very poor shelter with poor housing so I would like to think they do what they can. That is what my brother said any way.

• cindyxeus
    16 years ago

any food grade diatomaceous earth will work perfectly safe for puppies. for fleas and tics you apply it on the fur. Here's just one link that describes it. You can get food grade DE here or at your local feed store or lawn place, the sooner the better. Just make sure it's Food grade, and follow directions for applications. I keep DE with me at all times, I use it on my kennel area, and tak eit with me camping etc. Stuff is wonderful IMO.

Here is a link that might be useful: all natural flea killer

• jenc511
    16 years ago

First off, I'm sorry your friend is dealing with this problem. Second, what kind of shelter adopts out an underaged puppy infested with ticks?

I have raised a number of foster kittens, and some were infested with fleas and ticks. We treated them with meds that were not approved for such young kittens. I am shocked that a legitimate shelter would adopt out such a young puppy and that several vets wouldn't treat it effectively. Just because meds aren't approved for such young animals doesn't mean they haven't been used for years with good results. Something doesn't add up here.

You need to get this puppy to a vet who will adequately treat it. There is no reason not to treat an underaged puppy. Approvals with animal meds are the same as with human meds. They are often used outside of the range of their official approvals with no ill effects. Any vet worth their salt will know this and be able to handle it. A parasite-infested puppy is hardly earth-shattering veterinary science.

I'm still concerned that a shelter is sending home six-week old puppies infested with any kind of parasite.

• lablover4ever
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I always write things wrong and people do not understand what I am saying so I apologize for that.
    We never saw any of the Vets. One place we called here in our town and they did not have anything for a 6 week old puppy and it was almost closing time. We went to another town and could not find anything. We went to another town and stopped at a Vet office. We talked to the receptionist while she was busy with other people too. It was almost time for the other Vet office to close so we left there before we really finished talking to the receptionist so we could get to the other place before they closed. They did not have anything to put on a 6 week old puppy. So we never saw a Vet.
    My friend does not need anything now cuz we picked all the ticks off.
    But you would think after talking to two different receptionist and they know the puppy was only 6 weeks old and had hundreds of ticks that they would have asked their Vet if what jenc511 said is true???
    Anyhow, we spent hours and hours and worked all night and the next day picking off every single tick. The puppy has become very good with being handled!!
    He is very cute. He reminds me of my dog when he was a puppy.

• Meghane
    16 years ago

There isn't really anything safe that kills ticks in a 6 week old puppy. Usually puppies that young are not exposed to ticks because they are inside or otherwise protected, so it generally isn't a problem. Your friend's pup was a special situation.

Lots of shelters adopt out malnourished sick pets. It's unfortunately a situation that is very hard to control, especially in municiple shelters that are obligated by law to take in every single animal that is presented to them. You can't shut down the shelter and disinfect it. New animals with all sorts of diseases are brought in all the time to spread infectious agents to stressed out animals with questionable vaccine history and little previous veterinary care. At 6 weeks, the only vaccine the pup could have had was bordetella/kennel cough. If his mother was not vaccinated (and she most likely was not) then he had no maternal antibodies to protect him from anything. Sometimes litters of puppies are dropped off at shelters and the workers estimate their age based on teeth eruption, but there is some guesstimation done with that. The best thing for the shelter to do for animals dropped off that young is to get them out of the shelter before they get too sick and die.

As far as risk to humans- if you have flu-like symptoms such as achy joints or muscles, fatigue, fever, headache, nausea, etc then please see a doctor who is knowledgable in tick-born diseases and tell them of your exposure. Untreated lyme disease can be extremely debilitating or even fatal. Rocky mountain spotted fever will cause high fever (go figure) and you will feel like total crap (I had it once) but if you get treated you'll live and feel fine within a couple of days. The fever itself can be fatal, but the good news is that there are no lingering effects of RMSF like with Lyme disease. Also watch for similar signs in the puppy, such as shifting leg lameness, anorexia, lethargy, etc. Doxycycline is extremely effective in treating both diseases in dogs, and most dogs have no lingering effects of Lyme once treated.

Your friend is lucky to have such a good friend in you, willing to pull off all those ticks!

• quasifish
    16 years ago

As much of a pain as it was, I think it's great that you deticked that puppy tick by tick! I probably would have done the same thing. You know what you did is safe for the puppy and effective too. When my cats were kittens they had fleas and we had to do physical control on the kittens themselves, but we went ahead and used a spray under furniture (where the cats could not get) where fleas might lay eggs to continue the control. Something to keep in mind in case they start turning up again.

FWIW, my neighbors all laugh at me because I weed my lawn that same way- physical control, one weed at a time- but we have the nicest and healthiest lawn on the block, so there must be something to it :^)

Q