SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rivkadr

Cat Box Project -- Need Help Fast

rivkadr
17 years ago

This is kind of a crazy sounding project, but I'm hoping some people can help me. We have a very dumb cat, who occasionally will hang her rear end over the side of the cat box and make a mess. Our other cat is male and sometimes sprays. This makes for messes on the underside of our cat box which will sometimes sit for a day or two if I don't realize what has happened -- not good for the flooring underneath! I've put plastic underneath the cat boxes, but sometimes the urine will seep underneath the plastic, since our floor isn't level.

What I would like to do: build a large tray that our cat boxes will sit on, to protect the floor underneath it. I'd like to "waterproof" the material so that I can easily wipe it down should any pee get on it, and also so that the pee won't stick to it and smell. My questions:

1) I'm assuming I should make this of wood. If so, what type?

2) I'm going to put strips of wood around the edges to make it a tray, i.e. to catch the pee. But I'd like to make the inside of the tray rounded, not straight-cornered. What can I do to do that? Caulk? Clay? Concrete? I do want to build it up quite a bit, especially in the corners, so keep that in mind.

3) Finally, what can I use on top of the wood (and whatever I use #2 to make the inside round-edged) to make the tray water-proof? I'd almost like something that would completely layer the wood, making it like porcelain (I asked this question in another thread), if possible.

Thanks for any help :)

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths