SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buy1soon

Got my beef bones simmering

Terri_PacNW
15 years ago

Lastnight I roasted two 4 bone slabs of beef ribs and 6 or so marrow bones with some carrot, onion and celery..little drizzle of EVOO...in my big Caphalon (you know that one that Kframe had us all buy from Amazon a few years back. LOL) I then didn't drain or strain or nothing, just covered it with water after it had cooled (and hubby snuck some ribs out!) then covered the pot and refrigerated overnight. Took it out this am..put on the back burner and let it rip...It smells delish...deep and roasty. But I have no scum..it's bubblin..I can see the marrow fat on the top of the pot..the meat on the bones is starting to curl up and fall off...I added 6 more cups of filtered water to it a few minutes ago..just because I want LOTS of broth...

Now after I simmer it all day, and let it cool some, should I strain it then refrigerate to skim the fat off?

I never skim the fat off my chicken and turkey broth..but is beef fat to fatty???

~then after defatting, bring back to a boil, and then into canning jars..(I freeze my stock.) Don't have a pressure canner.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living