SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mudlady_gw

Evaporation while cooking.

mudlady_gw
13 years ago

I bought a low pressure cooker, mostly because I am annoyed by the amount of liquid that evaporates while I slow cook stew or boil bones and meat for soup. If I don't simmer the bones (bare marrow in 3 inch sections) for several hours, I don't get enough flavor for a good pot of soup. Please--do not suggest I use the "soup bones" that come with meat attached because I find that meat much too strong in flavor. I use a bottom round or shoulder for soup meat. Anyway, I used the low pressure cooker for the first time today. I put the bones in along with an onion and some fresh parsley. Just as the water came to a boil I lowered the temp to what I would use to simmer bones in a regular pot. My question is this: There is steam coming from the valve in the pot lid and I wonder if the water lost through this steam may be as great as that lost during a slow simmer? If so, I may save some electricity using this pot by shortening the cooking time, but I won't conserve on the amount of water lost.

Nancy

Comments (17)