SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura_lee_gw

Kitten Won't Wean? (and) Is 9 weeks to young to be adopted out?

laura_lee
14 years ago

First off 1 out of the five 9 week old kittens is not weaning. I can tell that the mom is not really wanting to nurse him anymore. He screams and screams while following her around but she either keeps trying to ditch him or lays with her stomach to the floor and tucks her front paws under her. And when he nurses he moves from nipple to nipple...it seems as if she is drying up or is dried up. Even though the others can eat dry kitten kibble at this point I still moisten it in the food processor hoping to entice the little booger. The runt is now even bigger than he is. Each time I feed them I put some food on my finger and into his mouth hoping maybe that this time will be the time he realizes, "oh yeah...duh! This stuff is good!" But no luck. I don't know what to do. They're 9 weeks and out of all the litters I have brought up this litter has amazed me the most. For the most part they have been surprisingly advanced since week 2. I myself have lots of unfortunate health problems and lately they are worsening. I myself have 3 dogs and 5 fixed cats. (That does not include their mom, whom was from a "feral" cat. Tecqinquely she was feral but was the only one from a litter of 7 kittens "took" to me and I was able to for the most part tame and let in and out of my house. To try and make a long story short...the mom cat to the five 9 week old kittens is the daughter of the "feral" cat. This is her third litter. I sent an application for a free spay voucher but unfortunately it did not come in time and she wound up pregnant again. My sister is going to give her a permanent indoor home and get her fixed so this is her last litter.) Now back to my 2nd question. So seeing with my health problems and already overload of animals I own I've found myself in a delima..The kittens have their own room. I let them out several times a day for several hours of play and interaction. But the sicker I become the harder it is to let them have run of the house. I do not want to stunt or mess up any part of the critical socializing or growth process that makes a kitten grow into a great cat. But I myself being only 33 years of age need to take care of myself in hopes I can be around for a few more years. So to the 2nd question. On July 29th the kittens will be 9 weeks on the noise and I was wondering if by then I could have my sister take the mother? And if possible buy this weekend if I can try n place 3 of the kittens into they're permanent homes? I'm keeping one and would hold off on adopting out the non weaning male until he is eating kibble.

Can anyone HELP in giving any suggestions, please?!?

Thank you!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County