SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lostnca

Daffy's ears (long post)

lostnca
16 years ago

We have been dealing with ear infections with Daffy our Maltese. We no sooner get it cleared up then it comes back again. This time around when I took her in for her yearly vaccines and periodic ear care it was there again.

The vet gave us some more Surolan Ear & Skin Solution to use for 5- 7 days. We have completed the 7 days but on about day 4 wax started coming out of her ear which I thought was good. Last night it started in clumps and and in a weepy fashion. It smells terrible ( i gagged and heaved from the smell and I have a strong stomach). Last night was the worst. Her ear flap is now red and raw looking where this stuff has glued itself to it over night. I have spent an hour with warm water and soap wiping it out followed by cotton balls with some peroxide on it. I can still see down in the ear where there is still more of this residue laying in there and the ear still reeks but is better.

My question is .. Can anyone suggest a de-waxing kind of solution to use until I can get her to the vets on monday to help clean this stuff out. No way are her meds going to work sitting on top of this stuff as it is.

She is on prednisone to help with the inflamation in her ear as well as where she has been licking her paws due to allergies. The ears are allergy related too the vet thinks. She is also taking clomipramine to reduce the licking behavior. We give her claritin too. Sorry this has been so long..

TIA

Lorie

Comments (10)