SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

Spay/neuter dilema

calliope
12 years ago

Several months ago I took in a beautiful marmalade male kitten who needed a home. He is now three and a half months old. He was to be an only cat, but two weeks ago, somebody dumped a kitten/kittens in front of our rural home, and the only one I could approach and feed was a tiny female tortie, whom I would say is perhaps eight weeks old now. I have until yesterday kept them separated since I wanted to be sure the male had all the innoculations he needed before he was exposed to a new stray. The female shall be making her first vet visit for a physical and first shots next week, although I have wormed her.

They will be companions to each other and here is the issue. I really like my vets and have had them for over 25 years but they want to hold off neutering the male until he is six months old. The one to whom I spoke knows I have a new female and that didn't seem to change her opinion.

I'm sorry, he is already displaying behaviour suggesting he is hitting puberty soon and I know from the only unexpected kitten I have ever been responsible for that a male most certainly can produce a kitten at four months, since it happened at my house waiting for that kitten to get old enough to neuter. LOL.

When my male kitty hits six months, my female shall be four and a half months old, also conceivably old enough to go into heat.

I don't want to play kitten roulette and if I can't convince them to feel comfortable with the reproduction responsibilites I think go with pets, I'm going to have to take them elsewhere to a vet who will take them sooner. This could be an issue with them. Some vets here will not accept cross practising. Thoughts?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH