SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bmickyd

Water Softener Sizing Help

bmickyd
11 years ago

I have tried to do my homework to get all the info I need before posting this so I am hoping I can get some help sizing a new softener. I am a new homeowner and the house currently has a rented Culligan softener that is also not functioning so I would prefer to replace it completely. There is also an inline filter downstream from the softener but I have to admit I don't know much about it.

House details are: 2 full baths (plans to add a half bath in the future) 2 adults (plans to add 2 children also in the future), dishwasher and washing machine but no hot tub or other high usage fixtures. It has a private well.
3/4 inch copper line to and from the old Culligan softener.
Bucket test -- at bathtub, both faucets wide open: ~34 seconds to fill 5 gallon bucket (9 gal/min).

Water test, 01/2013:
MF T. Coliform: absent
Nitrate: 0.50 MG/L
Nitrite: Iron: 1.5 MG/L
Manganese: 0.50 MG/l
pH: 7.2
Hardness, total: 280 MG/L
Alkalinity: 165 MG/L
Arsenic: E Coli: absent

There is a slightly sulfurous odor when running cold water but interestingly not much when running hot water. Any advice on that would be appreciated as well.

I have read enough to know that I want a gravel underbed and a top distributor basket but any other help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (3)