SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
medha_nanal

Repiping for existing concrete slab, flat roof foundation

homey_bird
15 years ago

Hello,

I am trying to fix a bad leak in my bathroom and got it checked by a couple of plumbing companies.

Turns out that for our 60-yr old house, we have copper pipes being attached to galvanized pipes (interior). Apparently not ideal.

Leak is inside the bathroom (since water is puddling and spreading each day) -- and pipes are really old we were recommended to replace them with new copper pipes.

-- Option 1 suggested that new pipes can go over the roof (it is a single-story house) and vertically into the bathroom and the kitchen, and into the water heater.

-- Option 2 is to bring the pipes along the sides of the house, the plumber commented that it is undesirable since it could look an eyesore.

-- Option 3 is to bring in the pipes through the existing walls and the roof. The quote for this is attractive but since I have never worked with the person before I do not know what type of job they would do; and this one involves ripping through the existing house.

This person also told me that it is not a good idea to take the pipes over the roof because they get exposed to weather/sun and might get damaged.

Any thoughts, suggestions, alternatives? Please help me make a good decision!

House is a midcentury modern, flat roof, concrete slab foundation, in SF Bay Area.

I would be glad to provide any more pertinent info on approximate length of pipes etc.

Comments (2)