SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

How long to keep a spayed (stray) cat indoors?

alisande
12 years ago

A stray cat gave birth to three kittens on our property two months ago. This past week I had her spayed and gave two of the kittens to good homes. I haven't been able to place the third, so I'm planning to keep that one. I'm told the stray mama has been hanging around nearby barns for a couple of years, so I'm thinking I'll let her remain an outside cat and see how that goes. She's an avid hunter, but I'll keep her fed. We can also provide winter shelter and warmth in our outbuildings.

She was spayed on Wednesday and has been residing in my guest room since then. She and I are both at the point where we'd like her to go back outside. She's restless, and I'd like to be able to keep the kitten in there for a few days (or more) as I introduce her to the two resident adult cats. (The vet advised me not to keep mother and baby together while the mother was healing, so I've separated them.)

Do you think four days is enough of a recovery period? Her incision looks good, and she doesn't seem to be licking it.

Thanks!

Comments (13)