SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonie_57

Responsibility and stray cats

moonie_57 (8 NC)
16 years ago

Almost 3 years ago a cat had her -second- litter of kittens under one of our sheds. The first litter was semi-tamed because our daughter would go out and play with them. The mother was a different story... you couldn't get near her. When they got older we had animal control come get the kittens but they were not able to catch the mother. Daughter was devastated and we felt terrible as well. We assumed the cat belonged somewhere in the neighborhood but if she did, no one would admit to it. Within a year she had a second litter... again under a shed, but a different one. My husband was irritated, my daughter was ecstatic and I was a mixture of both. Still no one would claim the cat. We started feeding her... and she was starved! We couldn't find homes for all the kittens, and my husband, still irritated, demanded I take the cat and kittens to the shelter. Daughter cried, I cried, and husband remained annoyed. He kept on to me to get rid of them while the kittens were still young enough to be "cute" and adoptable, but I couldn't do it. Finally, he said he would take them. Well, he didn't and never brought the subject up again. So, we take the mother cat to get spayed (cost us extra because she was already pregnant again. What an ordeal to cage her, then get her in another cage at the vet and then get her home again!)

So, we bring her home and can't do a thing with her. I was actually scared of her and worried about her around my other cats. So, outside she went. We kept and fixed the kittens, who are now almost 3 years old. The mother cat came around with time, although after she went outside, we didn't see her for a few days, but she apparently ate at night. Slowly she came around and likes to be petted, but not picked up, except on rare occasion. She'll come inside for short daily visits but wants back out with a few minutes. She will jump in your lap when she's having an especially lovable day. The worst part of her life is having to go to the vet. It takes days for her to regain any trust. And there was the time she had ear mites and we had to medicate her ears. Not good! *lol*

Well, come Sunday night we haven't seen her so yesterday I went to the animal shelter to make sure she hadn't been picked up. No Angel. (name does not suit her. :)

So, daughter is playing at her friends house, 3 doors down. The people next to them have cats.... lots of cats. In the backyard they have a big cage that they put their cats in. There's Angel screaming from inside the cage!

After daughter comes home to tell me, I started calling. Had tried calling them for several hours and by this time it was beginning to get dark. Got tired of calling so decided to walk up there. The husband was home... I saw him in the livingroom... but he doesn't answer the door. My mother, who knows the people, says he won't answer the door when his wife isn't home. ???????

The wife works nights, so I would be assuming she would have been home by 8 AM or so, but her car isn't there yet. I'm considering trespassing to check out this cage. Yeah, I know.... not wise, but I'm trying to be patient. These people claimed no knowledge of the cat 3 years ago.

Now, I realize this is not a normal cat ownership and probably the cat has been eating over there as well. There was a bowl of catfood on their front porch, so it would be my guess that every cat in the area eats there. The cat eats also at a couple of the other neighbors because they put food out for her and basically have the same type of relationship with her that we do. One of them wanted one of the kittens but unfortunately that was after my husband already told my daughter we would keep them.

We are fond of the cat and my daughter loves her, of course. It could very well be that the cat belonged to those people in the first place, but they definitely know where the cat has been all this time, and who sees to her veterinarian care. I'm just annoyed that someone would take it upon themselves to cage a cat that doesn't belong to them.. if it didn't... but I guess this is the kind of problems you run into when you allow cats to roam freely.

I thought we did the best we could for her but now I'm not sure what we'll do if they simply refuse to hand the cat over. And even if they do, what do we do about a cat that turns the house upside down when she's made to stay inside. She tore the livingroom up one day when a simple little noise scared her. The foam rubber stuff around the back door has been torn off with her digging at the door and the window sill in daughters bedroom is scratched where she has tried to dig out. Not to mention the other cats, including her grown kittens, are terrified of her.

Ah well... I'm still waiting for the lady to get home. Hope she's not out of town.

If I manage to attach a photo, here's one of Angel sitting at the door to her "den", obviously ready to swap someone! :)

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (19)