SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kandt_gw

why to avoid crack in granite?

kandt
15 years ago

rats! I fell in love with a seafoam green granite unlike any other I have seen. long story short, it does have about 1 foot crack in bottom corner.

I have read FAQ about stone advice (thanks Beuhl!) which states "A crack on the other hand is a problem... If you look at the slab at an oblique angle in the light, you will note the reflection of the shine on the surface of the stone. A crack will appear as a definite line through the reflection and the reflection will have a different appearance on either side of the line - there will be a break in the plane. Reject slabs like this. One could still work around fissures. Cracks are a whole other can of worms."

Granite yard calls it a fissure, but there is a definite line that can be felt with my fingers when I slide my hand over the stone.

My question is, why should it be avoided? If I can template around it, would it still be ok? or does a crack, run throughout the stone, even if you can't see it.

The yard is a combo slab seller and fabricator, meaning I cannot buy the slab and take it to different fabricator, if that makes a difference. Also, the stone is 3 cm, which is very unusual in my region.

Comments (6)