SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetchastity

Dog dying of aggressive cancer

sweetchastity
13 years ago

We got the worst possible news our beloved Misty has cancer in the bones of her lower jaw. She's 12 years old but the vet said even in a young dog the prognosis for this type of cancer is not good. It is one of the worst cancers she could get and its metastasized to her lungs and possibly her liver. Average survival is about 104 days. This is terrible for us but devastating to my mother. Misty is the first dog to bond with her instead of my dad. Misty is her baby and fulfilled her needs for love and companionship.

We know there isn't anything we can do except to keep her comfortable and happy. In fact she doesn't seem sick at all given her awful diagnosis, except for the blood. She is dripping blood from her mouth constantly. It was the first thing that tipped us off that she wasn't well. That and a truly offensive smell that was alleviated when the vet removed some of the black tissue in her mouth. She bleed more after the surgery and we expected the blood to diminish a bit as it healed but we were wrong.

Its hard enough knowing that she's dying but seeing blood everywhere is killing my mom. Its a constant reminder that she's going to lose Misty and the blood gets worse. Its not huge puddles of blood but like a leaky faucet the constant drips are getting more and more and she drools a bit when lying down so when she gets up the floor is bloody where her head rested. Her water is constantly red with blood.

We noticed the blood and bad breath 2 weeks ago today. We took her to the vet on the following Monday. They did surgery and x-rays and sent the tissue for biopsy last Friday. Two days ago we learn that she was dying. Today my mom is considering putting her to sleep. Its all happening so fast and my mom hasn't had a lot of time to really accept the inevitable. This is devastating for my mom as it is but I know she wants to enjoy the time she has with Misty. Misty is on pain meds for her back/hips but she is eating/drinking, she gets excited to go for walks and car rides, her weight is good, energy seems to be normal... she doesn't seem sick at all. If she seemed like she was in pain or was struggling breathing mom would feel better about doing the right thing because she won't let Misty suffer. But putting her down now would feel like killing a healthy dog.

Does anyone have any advice on how we can make the blood more manageable even just for a couple more weeks. Mom wants to make turkey and feed her the way she did when she was younger before she could eat table scraps. We don't want to let her get truly sick but another 2 or 3 weeks would give mom time to spoil her and remember the love they shared instead of the constant blood.

Comments (23)