SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snaillover_gw

Sewer smell in cold weather - need help understanding this

I moved to this house last July so my first winter here. There was no sewer smell until the weather got cold in December. I smell it outside in the back of the house and also inside by the washer pipe and downstairs shower. The inside smell comes and goes. I've been pouring water into the shower drain and that's helped. I don't smell it in the house at the moment.

The outside smell is especially bad right now. We've had obscene snowfall this year and below zero temps for days. It's a bit warmer now but it's still snowing (3 feet here). I believe the stack vent is completely covered by snow right now. If that's the case, why would I smell it stronger outside? Wouldn't it be less outside and stronger inside because the gas can't escape? Shouldn't it have a cover to prevent this? I will be calling a plumber to fix the problem, but I'd like to understand how it all works first. No one is going to attempt crawling on my roof right now. As long as it's not a danger, I can put up with the smell until spring.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (16)