SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dan_roberts59

Help! COLD, WET weather after transplant!

Dan Roberts
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Okay everyone. This is my first real pepper garden. 16 plants, 15 varieties, all i could handle in my apartment garden. Im in blowing rock, nc elevation 3600. Im growing mostly hots, jalapeno to reaper and all in between, i have a few sweets too.

Theyre all between 9 and 14 weeks old. I transplanted 11 days ago. After 5 days, everyone looked healthy. (barring my reaper, red savina, and hot cherry that i accidentally let get 54 degrees as young seedlings for 3+ days, i think theyre stunted for life... Thoughts?) all still the same shade of green, a few had grown a bit, and two opened flowers which i picked.

Then a nasty cold front came.
31 degrees sat night, 15mph wind. Zero frost, but it was 31 for an hour or so. They mostly looked the same on sunday... A few had some colorless spots on the leaves, but i only felt the need to clip 2 or 3 leaves on 16 plants.
55 with sun on sunday then 39 sunday night. Then 55+ and sun the next day. As of monday afternoon 2 plants showed stress, one lost almost all leaves but stem still green. .

The next few days have been highs around 55-60 with rare sun, occasional rain..... Very gloomy with lows in the upper 40s.
Okay, so now ive brought you to today when 2/3 of the plants have lost some leaves and more leaves continue to fade and lose color, some breaking off easily, others remain strong. Im starting to worry i might lose almost all of my peppers :(

Finally, were going to get an inch+ of rain tomorrow, but my peppers are all planted on sizable mounds, would that help? I have a canopy i could put over them if you think its my only chance e to save the crop but i dont know if my stakes will handle a 25mph+ gust.......

Beginning saturday afternoon for at least 4 days it will be around 70 and sunny, they get 8+ hours of sun. It is now thurs 7pm

What does everyone think?

One last thought, when planting i put 2 red tip match heads on top of each mound, along with sprinkle on fertilizer pellets..... Was that a big no no?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!