SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

I now know more about me; family research

12 years ago

I have a cousin who is into genealogy. She's been working for y-e-a-r-s on our family's history. It's a tough job; we come from a long, multi-generational line of gypsies and wanderers who never seemed to settle for long, didn't leave much in the way of legal, or even written, records, and some members have been known to change the facts from time-to-time for various reasons.

I asked if she thought she'd have any luck finding out anything about my father. My off-and-on attempts to locate him, beginning in the early 1980s, has never panned out.

This morning I mentioned his full name and where he lived when he married Mom.

This afternoon she had this info...

Basil Odell Collins was born on April 1, 1930. His parents were Lee Washington Collins and Anthia Elizabeth Collins (maiden name Stubbs), all born in Missouri. His siblings in 1930 were Audnis Collins, age 10, Herlius Collins, age 6, Howard Collins, age 2. In the '80s I spoke to another brother, my uncle, named "James" who was in Houston, TX at the time.

According to Social Security records my father passed away on July 9, 1992 in Anderson, Shasta County, California.

--------------

I am Carol Collins. Daughter of Basil Collins; grand daughter of Lee and Anthia Collins; niece to Audnis Collins, Herlius Collins, Howard Collins, and James Collins. (Unless "James" is a middle name for Howard.)

In all my life I've never known the name of any other related "Collins" except for the one on my birth certificate.

She's now working on finding the five brothers I have from the Collins side. I have four brothers from my Mom; I have five brothers from my Father. I just knew I was special! LOL

---------------

Back-story...My cousin is, of course, Grandma's grand daughter. She is the daughter of Grandma's daughter, L., from Grandma's (supposed) first marriage to Mr. Whisenhunt. I am the daughter of Grandma's daughter, W., from her second marriage to Mr. Richards.

Cousin has learned, and found the legal proof, that our dear Grandmother had a marriage no one knew about.

She found the marriage license for her (Cousin's) grandfather Mr. Whisenhunt, but Grandma's name was listed as C. Mowler. Much more sleuthing, and help from several counties, Cousin found a marriage license for Grandma, C. Phelps, to the unknown Mowler.

Oh what a tangled web we weave...and nearly 100 years later it's so hard to unravel.

My Grandma, the prim and proper, ultra-strict, Ruler of the Clan...had a secret marriage. Oh my, when I get to Heaven she's gonna have some 'splanin' to do!

Comments (10)