SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenburgher

My cat is Depressed? Angry? Sad?

gardenburgher
15 years ago

When I got married 8 years ago, I adopted DH's 2 cats. Four months ago, after a brief illness, Milo died at the age of 12. It was heartbreaking and we all grieved, including Toby, our 10 year old cat.

A month ago, DH convinced me to bring home 2 strays from his parents' house. I wasn't sure if we were ready, but I gave in.

I'm really enjoying the new kittens, but I am regretting the decision to bring them home. Poor Toby is so angry (sad? depressed?). He has been annoyed with the kittens from day one, which was expected. But instead of getting better with time, itÂs getting worse.

I went on a trip for a week and DH said he growled the whole time. A week after I got home, he stopped growling, but he is still spending 95% of his time under my bed. I've started bringing his food upstairs to him and just recently he decided not to come out to eat. He used to sleep at my feet and now he won't even come out from under the bed at night.

I thought he'd react differently to the knew kittens because Toby has always been playful. I've been told to give him a place of his own, but how do you do that? Any place that he can go, the kittens can also go. DH and I have tried to give him extra loving, but it's kind of hard when he won't even come out from under the bed.

It's so sad to see my (first) baby having such a hard time. I'm not sure what to do.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Comments (8)