SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

Sad News - The Pink Cat is in critical condition

Annie
14 years ago

Sad news for me this morning - one of my kitties, The Pink Cat is in critical condition at the vet clinic. We took her there yesterday. The vet took Xrays and we discussed what he found. She has some kind of lung infection - could actually be more than one type. He needs to run a scope down her to get some tissue samples. She only has about 1/8 lung capacity right now and that is not good tissue either. He thinks it is some kind of Fungal infection inside her lungs. The procedure could kill her, but she is going to die if we don't do something.

Here is the latest photo I took her on July 13th.

Sweet Little Pinkums on my bed. Momma's little girl.

{{gwi:608490}}

Comments (83)

• Annie
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have been giving her meat juices watered down a bit to make it soupy. I have a baby care bag with all kinds of tools in it that I use for my animals, including the large medicine syringe. I have been giving her little amounts every few minutes all morning. She has to eat before I can give her the medication. Then I gave her some more. She crawled under the bed.
    She is so weak. I am so pissed.
    My regular vet, Jerry, is not there during the week, so leaves Wendy, in charge. I told him last week what I thought of her and that I was pissed off about her not checking Pink's lungs back in June when I first took her in. She ran all kinds of tests but did not think to do any xrays. Jerry defended her, but I was emphatic that I did not want her taking charge of Pink's treatment. Well, she was in charge all week.
    Yup, gotta find another vet.
    Yes, we have gobs of vet clinics here. Most of them are mainly for farm animals, but they also treat pets. OSU is a huge Veterinarian college and Medical college. It used to be called Oklahoma A&M before it was broadened and the name changed to Okla. State Univ. The OSU Vet hospital costs are astronomical. Can't afford to pay that much while vet students learn vet-med by practicing on my cat, for gods sakes.. I have tried other vets in Stillwater and surrounding towns. I will check out the one in Chandler. My sister used to use them when she lived down here.

Talk to you later.
    Can't be on here anymore today.

Annie

• Eduarda
    14 years ago

Thanks for the update, Annie. I also check for news on her every day. Sending all my best get well wishes.

Eduarda

• Related Discussions

sad little new daylily division

Q

Comments (9)
    I too have recieved some rather sick looking plants. Mine were from Lily Auction, they were small and almost completely brown, I didn't expect this from the seller I dealt with. I soaked them for a few hours, planted them out in the garden and hoped for the best. They started to show signs of green growth in just a few days and I know they will survive. Purple Maze is beautiful and large. Mine has rebloomed nicely here in my zone 5 garden. It's too bad you recieved a small fan, on the bright side it seems to multiply rather quickly. I think I would let the seller know how disappointed you are and see if they try to make up for it. If not, stay away from them. The best place to purchase daylilies (in my opinion) is Lily Auction. Nancy VB
    ...See More

Sad news...cat on last legs

Q

Comments (111)
    Thanks for the sympathy ladies. Before my current gig I worked as a nurse in a Critical Care Unit, so always had a personal mission to minimize any suffering I could. We can make those choices for our pets, and I would have done so willingly, but am grateful that I didn't need to. Maybe it was a heart attack, I am choosing to think it was fast and pain free. But the suddenness is a bit unsettling because I find myself replaying the last few days to see if there is something that I missed. But I am giving my other pets extra pets....and treats which probably isn't so good for them. Unfortunately all of my pets are getting up there is age so I think that this may be something I face again sooner rather than later. So nice about your vet, funny I have found many vets to be more empathetic then the doctors that I come in contact with. Hope everybody is doing well.
    ...See More

sad goodbye, but new beginnings

Q

Comments (13)
    Wow, Jim, sorry to hear you are selling that gorgeous kitchen! Yours was one of the ones I drooled over when doing my own remodel and in fact, I copied a few of your ideas (thanks!). I hope your next place is as great. When I bought my old house, the neighborhood had nice people, but was run down. Mostly owners, a few rentals. All the houses were over 80 years old and looked very tired. It was what I could afford. Overall it seemed to be a quiet group, and a few of them knew each other. I knocked on doors to find this out. Crime stats were low, as they are in much of this city. I started to fix up my place shortly after buying it, and all the neighbors saw the work. It brought them out to ask me questions about what I was doing, how, etc. There's an interesting thing that happens as people get to know each other and share thoughts and ideas. I've found that by knowing my neighbors and asking them about their houses, it brings up ideas of making the whole 'hood look nice, if one person starts the ball rolling. This may not always be the case, but I have seen it in a neighborhood I rented in that wasn't the best, and again after purchasing this house. Was it my planting of that seed that then encouraged others, many DIY'ers, to do the same, or did they just not want their house to look run down when the one next to it no longer did? The bottom line is, in general we have lost touch with each other as we get busier, and I have found in this internet age, that by getting out and getting to know my neighbors, we build a community we want to improve and be a part of. I think that by seeing all the effort I put into my house, seems to make them want to do the same with theirs. It also builds a bit of a watch system as we all look out for each other. My whole block has now got newly painted homes, with much better looking yards than when I first bought. Many of them have upgraded their kitchens (after I did mine- with a couple choosing similar styles because they liked how mine was). I even helped teach a neighbor how to tile, and helped them tile their new kitchen. And just last week, yet another neighbor asked for my electricians phone number as they start their new kitchen remodel. Every fall, I assist the disabled neighbor with raking her leaves, and that has prompted the other neighbors to help her as well. It's amazing what planting that seed can do. So, wherever you go, plant the seed. Get out and know your neighbors and be a part of the change. I don't want to sound all Polly Anna-ish here, but it really does make a difference in how enjoyable the neighborhood can be and my life within that 'hood!
    ...See More

Natasha Richardson in critical condition

Q

Comments (17)
    This is absolutely believable if the fall caused a brain hemmorhage. The building pressure inside the skull can be enough to cause irreparable brain damage. Especially if it affected the brain stem which controls involuntary nervous responses like breathing and heart beat. That is why most people with concussions are kept in the hospital for 24 hour surveillance. The family will supposedly issue a statement tomorrow. If the news reports are correct, it may be after she has passed. What a horrible freak accident and such a sad tragedy. Bigbaby, Love Actually is one of my favorite films. If the worst outcome happens, it would be such a terrible coincidence.
    ...See More
  • zigzag
    14 years ago

Pullin' for the pink cat - best wishes from zigzag & katie the wonder beagle!

• PattiOH
    14 years ago

Annie, I'm just reading this thread. I'm very sorry that you and the Pink Cat have had such a rough week!
    I hope your sweet little "Pinkums" will be feeling better very soon.
    She's a beautiful girl!

Patti

• PattiOH
    14 years ago

Annie, how is your dear little kitty doing today?
    Sending hugs to you both,
    Patti

• Annie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update:

Thanks for asking Patti.
    I sent an email to Eduarda Sunday night (or rather early Monday morning). I hope she doesn't mind, but I am just going to copy-paste here most of what I wrote to her with some additional info. I don't feel very well and don't feel much like trying to write it all out again.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Sunday night late:

I called my vet this afternoon (Sunday) and really b_tched him out about his partner, Dr. M., and told him The Pink Cat was dying. Her gums were white and the inside of her ears. She was totally limp and was so weak she couldn't move. I unleashed the fury of God on him about everything and then he said,
    "Okay I know you are mad at me, but right now we need to do what we can to save Pink." I told him I wasn't mad at him. I was furious with Dr. M.!
    He said, "Okay, Well, I know you are mad at me, but will you please bring her in and let's put her back on oxygen. Will you do that for me?"
    I told him I wasn't sure she could stand the trip back.
    He said, "Well, she won't make it otherwise. She might die on the way, but how will we feel if we don't try to save her? So will you bring her back in? Will you do that for me and let me try to save her?"
    I agreed. I got her in the car and she started yowling. so I petted her all the way, stroking her face and talking to her. She lifted her chin for me to scratch and I know she knew I was taking her back to get help. She stopped yowling after a little while and settled down pretty well. It was a hot drive. The AC went out and the car was too warm, even with the windows all down, but she could get air that way. I unzipped her carrier to allow more air to get to her. She crawled over to me. But I got her there and he had the oxygen ready. No crap from any of them - he met me at the door and we rushed her back to the surgery. As soon as he placed her in the compartment, she cozied right up to the oxygen hose. She knew where the good stuff was! Within minutes, she looked ten times better. He promised HE would oversee her from here on out and make sure she was taken care of correctly. I told him that she was dehydrated and malnourished and needed to be fed with a syringe several times a day. Dr. M. didn't feed her - just put the dish in the cage and expected her to feed herself, for gosh sakes. She is too weak to feel like eating on her own, and she isn't going to get better without food! I told him that if need be, I would come over every day and feed her myself and make sure it got done and done right. He asked how I did it and I told him by mixing a little warm water in the meat juices and just giving her a little in the corner of her mouth so it didn't go down in her windpipe. So he said okay, but "no, no, no", he would make sure she got fed and watered and he would make sure that she was not taken off the oxygen anymore until the medication had time to clear her lungs and she was strong enough to breath on her own. I guess I put the fear of God in him - he feared a law suite or something. Man, you would have thought I was the Queen. We discussed it thoroughly. I was adamant. All the workers were giving each other sideways looks and all that. Well, to hell with them!
    I don't know how I will pay for it, but by God she is going to get a chance!

Anyway, she is resting and okay again. We shall see how it goes tomorrow when Dr. M. comes back - Dear God, please watch over my Pinkums?

I told the vet that there were hundreds of people all around the world rooting for my Pinkums. He asked if I posted it on a forum of some kind or something and I said yes. I bet he wonders what all I told everyone - GOOD!
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Wednesday - I just called the vet's office.
    Pink only licked at her food today the vet tech told me. What do you wanna bet that Dr. M. turned off her oxygen again? She was eating Monday & Tuesday when Dr. J. told me he was seeing to her care. Doesn't sound like he is today. He has some explaining to do this evening.
    I asked the vet tech is anybody had fed her with the syringe? Dr. J. promised her would see to it. She kind of hesitated, and then said yes. Hmmm.
    I wish I had a car so I would go over there every day unannounced at different times of the day so I could see just what they are or are not doing.
    I am going to see if my S.O. will just drop by there this evening on his way home and see about her. I asked Dr. J. why he hadn't put her on IV. She needs the fluids, nourishment and they could run her meds through it too. He said her would try to put on one her that night.

The next day he said she was eating by herself and doing a little better- that he had gotten the IV on her Monday night and she was on it over night.So why wasn't she still on it, whether she was eating on her own or not? Good Grief!
    I am still so very concerned and still fuming.

I just don't know what else I can do right now. I am going to check out a veterinary hospital down in Chandler. I heard that she is not only a great vet, but she is also a master gardener. Maybe she would be better for me and my babies. I will check it out and see about moving Pink down there. I like Dr. J., but if Dr. M. is going to STILL be in charge of Pinkums, after all I have told Dr. J., then I think he leaves me no other alternative but to seek another clinic. However, Pink is so weak right now that I don't think she could take the move.

A severe thunderstorm is about to cut loose - yeah - but I have to go get the hen put up before it hits.
    (Yes, I said "the hen". I am down to one hen now....a raccoon killed yet another hen last week. When it rains it pours. Man oh man.)

You are all very kind people.
    Thank you for caring about The Pink Cat.
    Thank you for being my long-distance gardening friends.
    Sorry I was so vile about all this in previous posts. I lost my cool and wrote some things I probably shouldn't have posted on the forum. (my bad) I hope I haven't offended anyone, but I swear I am so stressed out about this right now that I can't eat or sleep.
    ~Annie

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Good for you Annie give them h*ll and, yes you're right you have people all around the world rooting for Pinkums. You can tell that vet of yours some of us check in more then once a day just to see how Pinkums is doing. I just can't understand taking her off oxygen and sending her home like they did. Anyone with half a brain should know she would need oxygen and IV fluids until the meds take effect and she was well on the road to recovery. They should be giving you a break on the bill for all their mishandling of the whole situation, I'm sitting here seething just thinking about it.
    Sending a big hugs for you, Pinkums hang in there precious I'm rooting for you. I wish I lived close so I could give you a hand.

Annette

• mora
    14 years ago

C'mon little kitty, you can do it, Auntie M, xo

• Eduarda
    14 years ago

Annie, I still haven't understood whether Pinkums is already getting her meds for the histoplasmosis or not? I seemed to have lost that piece of information along the way. Yes, I do believe a new vet is in order. I've been sitting here fuming at your description of poor Pinkums treatment. I would be mad with distress if it was me, as I'm sure you are. Hang in there, Annie, and do tell that vet that we're keeping watch of him and how he handles poor Pinkums. A big hug to her.

Eduarda

• Annie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Eduarda,

Yes, Pinkums is on her meds. She started last Thursday morning. She gets it twice each day. I'm sorry I didn't state that plainly.
    Dr. M. decided to send Pinkums home on Saturday because she was doing so much better (after only two days on meds). I told her it was too soon for the meds to have any effect on the fungal infection in her lings. Of course, it was the oxygen that made her feel better. The first time she had enough oxygen in three months, so of course she felt better! Dr. M. took her off the oxygen because she was doing so well.
    Does the word STUPID come to mind here?
    Jeez Looweez.

~Annie

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    14 years ago

Are you able to get an oxygen tank, with the proper feed for a cat, without the vet??? Man, that would be my next move...you share a vehicle - that's hard. I'd just be there, or on the phone, or sicing my BFFH on them. Worked for my Midnight!!!

Fight on, Nancy.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Annie,
    it surely sounds like you may not owe that damned Dr. M. a red cent.
    I'm so sorry about all the hassle you and Pink are going through. I would be absolutely fuming too. I am so thankful that I've got two wonderful vets. When we got Bippie and she was in such a state, I was just floored when her brand new vet called a specialty interest at no extra charge and did an ultra sound at no cost to us so that we could all be assured that our choices were in Bippie's best interest. She is thriving! Her medical condition doesn't bother her except I notice she doesn't go outside to the porch on the hottest days - she can't breath out there in heat and humidity.
    I hope Pink has every opportunity to thrive too!!

• PattiOH
    14 years ago

Dear Annie,
    Thanks for the update. You and The Pink Cat are very much in my thoughts. Please keep us posted.

Patti

• dawiff
    14 years ago

Annie, thanks for updating all of us. I have been coming back here to check up on your kitty too. Poor Pinkums and poor you, I completely understand how stressful it is when a cherished pet is sick. You have nothing to apologize for! I would be raging too!

You are both very much in my thoughts.

14 years ago

Just checking in to let you know you and Pinkums are continually in my thoughts.

Hugs to both of you,
    Annette

• Eduarda
    14 years ago

Me too, Annie, checking for Pinkums as well. Hope she's feeling better today.

Hugs
    Eduarda

• zigzag
    14 years ago

Thinking of Pinkums and Annie, scrambling to find a pink envelope for a Monday mailing. Katie Beaglette is helping me and sending positive beagle to kitty thoughts.

• Annie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I went to see her this morning.
    She is so thin and looks terrible.
    When I walked in the surgery, she saw me right away and began meowing and meowing. I went to her immediately and loved her and talked to her in soothing tones. She actually began to purr.
    I took her some canned cat food and a little plastic spoon with her name on everything. The tech in there opened it and put some in a paper dish and gave it to me to give to her. Say what????!!!! She told me that Pink had pulled her IV out last night. She said that Pink had licked at her food a little that morning, but that was all. I asked if they had syringe fed her and she replied that if Pink didn't eat, she guessed they would have to do that. She guessed that, huh? Jesus! I am so damned disgusted with them. She put way too much food in the dish and most of it was solid. I told her only the juice. She looked at me with the blank look. So, I got the spoon out of the bag and fed her myself. I told them all that she had to be fed and that using a little spoon and carefully feeding her like a baby was the best way as it got more nourishment into her. They were annoyed. I fed her five spoonfuls of mostly juice. At first she seemed to be having difficulty with it, but within an half hour or so, she seemed to feel better and looked better. Her cage needed tidying, so I cleaned it and gave her fresh water. It had not been changed since who knows when. Then I got some more paper towels and cleaned her up, wiped the food off her face and neck and wiped up the messes on her blanket. Her eyes had some black matter in the corners and her nose was dirty. Her ears were gooey inside. I cleaned them and she seemed to love it. She liked the grooming. I petted her most of the time. I held her a couple of times, but not for too long. She finally seemed to feel well enough because she took her face out of the oxygen cone and rested. They have not been force feeding her. They just put the damned dish in there. I am going back in the morning to feed her again and check to see if they have the oxygen on her. I will take my own grooming equipment and clean her up a little better. Maybe take her pink blankie too. Maybe take some milk for her.
    Here are the latest photos of her.
    She looks like h-ll!!
    These three pics were taken before I cleaned her and the cage and fed her and gave her some loving attention.

They seem to be going through the motions of doing vet work, but that is it. She could just as well be an old shoe in that cage for all the love and attention they show her...and she feels their indifference. It makes me so angry!

Look at my beautiful baby! Down to bones!
    {{gwi:608492}}

{{gwi:608493}}

{{gwi:608494}}

Look at this cheap rigging for oxygen. It came undone while I was there. The tech said, "Oh, it just does that. But she;s getting enough air. I'll tape it back on in a little bit." I just stood there holding it together and up to Pink's face, so she sighed heavily and brought some tape over and taped it back on, pushing me aside to do it. Very professional. What happened to the big clear plastic tube? Hardly anything was coming through that little green hose. It looked like an old piece of garden hose, for God's sakes!. The new vet in there today (Dr. J. and Dr. M were "not in today"), insisted that it was - and talked to me in a condescending manner. I wanted to punch her lights out.

She killed a little dog in surgery while I was there. I watched her! She had been cleaning it's teeth and was having trouble with the procedure. I heard her say she couldn't figure out how to do something and was having trouble. After she finished, the tech carried the dog to the neighboring cage by Pinkums. She placed the dog in the cage and then cried out "Breathe!" and hit it in the chest. The girl called the vet's attention to the fact that it was not breathing. The vet asked what was the matter and walked over to the cage. So I told her, the little dog had stopped breathing. She dismissed me at that point, shooing me with her hand, and told me that they had it under control and that I could go now. Ya, I could clearly see that! She killed that little dog!

All morning they were slamming around in the room, slamming cabinet doors over Pink's cage and talking loudly as if she weren't there and weren't sick. The other little dog in the bottom cage was crouched down in it's cage and did not look too happy either. I never heard so danged much racket in a sick room! Pink is not used to other people in the first place and so would have been afraid without all that noise, but that is certainly like no surgery I have ever been in and not an environment in which someone sick could rest or recover.

I am going to Chandler on Monday to see about getting her moved down there (if they are any better). I don't know if she will be able to stand the trip, but she won't last long where she is! I just don't know what to do! She can't last much longer starving to damn death, dehydrated and unable to get enough air or any peaceful rest. And that environment does not feel friendly or caring to me. You know animals can feel it!
    I am so angry!!!

• zigzag
    14 years ago

Sweetannie - this is horrible and you need to get Pinkums out of there fast! You're doing more good than they are - transport her, she can't do it herself. She's depending on you.

Please keep posting .... me and the beaglette are pulling for you both!

• BecR
    14 years ago

Ditto what zigzag said. And when you get a chance, as soon as possible, report the conditions to the proper authorities---humane society perhaps or animal control or something---to prevent this from happening to other pets!

Pulling for Pinkums, XXXX Becky

• BecR
    14 years ago

Annie~ Just want to add: My kitty is sick right now too--I won't go into details. But, she wasn't eating which is very poor for kitties, especially after 48 hours. Vet said to get at least the minimum of 4 tablespoons total per day into her, or she would need to go on an IV. Today we finally got her to eat Gerber brand chicken baby food--the small 2.5 ounce jar (about 5 tablespoons in the jar) has a very smooth consistency, which she likes and she finally ate significantly. A neighbor's kitty was ill and liked the Gerber chicken baby food as well. So, if you need to get your Pinkums to eat more, you may want to give it a try. Just a helpful tip, if you need it.

Hope this helps.

Hugs, Becky

• BecR
    14 years ago

One more thing---you're a tech so probably know this already, but they can rehydrate your kitty by subcutaneous fluids, which means they inject a pack of water under the skin, on their back. My kitty had this yesterday, and it really helps. Thought I'd share... Becky XXXXX

• Annie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all so much for your prayers and cares! I believe all those positive vibes have made a difference.

The clinic didn't open today until noon, but I was there when it did. I was ready for battle, if need be. Dr. J was there today. Everything was well organized and quiet as he always runs things. There was a prescription attached on Pink's cage door for an IV and instructions to keep it going and the oxygen level where he had it set. (Good).

When I entered the surgery, Pink saw me immediately and began meowing. That is a very good sign that she is on the mend and feeling somewhat better. I had my Pink Cat Kit with me and started in right away tending to her. Dr. J. was smiling and very interested in what I was doing, but stayed back and let me work. He was smiling. He was also very interested in the emergency milk formula I had cooked up for Pinkums. It is for orphaned kittens, but I figured it would be really good for a sick adult cat. Pink loves milk and at home, has it every day.

I had gone to WalMart earlier and bought her a special non-slip pink bowl and pink fleece blanket. I cut the blanket in two so I could change it out with each visit. I noticed right away that there was a good amount of oxygen coming through the tube today. The two vet techs that were working today are great little gals (if only Dr. J and they could be there all the time).

As soon as I set that bowl in her cage, Pinkums raised right up on her elbows and peered over into the dish. I bought her some kitten food - Fancy Feast Gourmet kitten food. When I popped the top, she was ready. She ate a little bit and drank all the juice. The vet tech put the rest in the refrigerator for me. Then I poured 1/4 cp. of the milk formula into her bowl and she straight away drank it all! Dr. J was amazed. He asked what it was, so I told him what it had in it. They all said that was great and thought it was a great idea. Anyway, I gave her a little more and she drank half of that too. After a few minutes, she looked at the bowl again. I decided to give her the flaked tuna (her favorite at home). I fed it to her on the little spoon. She ate it right off the spoon as fast as I could get it in front of her. Dr. J. was even more amazed at how much she was eating and he was all smiles. The vet techs said they had tried and tried and couldn't get her to eat much - just a few licks and that was all. Dr. J. asked what kind I was feeding her, so I told him. The receptionist came in and she said, "Food always taste better when your Mama feeds you." I think it made a big difference, too. The formula helped right away. It is amazing stuff, if I do say so myself.

I held her a few times. She loved it. Cuddled on my shoulder much longer today. I nuzzled her and petted her and scratched her chin. She purred more today than she has in over three weeks! I left the other two cans of flaked tuna and brought the others varieties home.

I think she is going to be okay. I just have to keep going over there and feeding her until she improves enough that she can completely come off the oxygen, and then I will bring her home.

When she started looking sleepy, I decided she needed me to go. She layed down on her pink blankie that Mommie brought her (with my scent on it) and she pulled the oxygen cone over to her with her paws and shoved her face down into it, closed her eyes and went to sleep. She had had a good day and with a full tummy she could rest. My smart girl.

It was nice and quiet in there too. I talked to him about the noise and slamming cabinet doors and etc. He said he would put a stop to that. I also told him about my confrontation with the other vet. The techs were not surprised. Apparently they are aware of her particular disposition. I told them that she didn't know how just how close she came to having me b-tch slap her. They all chuckled at that.

So, for now, I will continue this regiment and do whatever it takes to get my baby well and back home. The medication seems to be working and she is eating now and that is very good. I left a pint of Miracle Milk Formula in the refrigerator for them to offer to Pink. The girls said they would see to it.

I am borrowing someone's truck tomorrow morning so I can go in to feed her every day and let her know that she has not been abandoned - I think that has helped as much as anything. I think she felt abandoned and that just breaks my heart. The plan is that this coming week DHM is going to take my old pickup down to the city and trade it in for me a new car - Cash for Clunkers to the rescue! Prayers that all goes down as planned...
    ~Annie

• PattiOH
    14 years ago

Heart warming to read of your efforts for your little darlin', Annie.
    Thanks for taking the time to tell us the good news.
    Sending prayers your way . . .

Patti

• Eduarda
    14 years ago

Annie, I checked for news first thing this morning and was so happy to hear Pinkums is doing better! You're right, your care and attention are doing a significant part of it. Cats are very sensitive and depression prone and feeling so ill and not seeing you around (plus with that awful people and noise at the surgery) she must have felt really bad. Poor thing, I'm so glad she's eating and drinking, together with the meds this will make all the difference. Sending big hugs to both

Eduarda

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Annie, that is all sounding much, much better. Eating is the best sign.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the 'clunker'/new car deal works for you! You need a vehicle!

14 years ago

WAY TO GO PINKUMS!!! keep up the good fight. Once they start eating and looking for more is such a good sign. Hopefully Pinkums can come home soon. Annie good luck with the car and please keep us posted on that precious little girl of yours.

Annette

• zigzag
    14 years ago

Annie, your post has positively made my day! I'm thrilled that Pinkums is rallying - you're truly a miracle worker and she's sooooo lucky to have you. We're keeping the good vibes highway at full capacity and clear of potholes!

• BecR
    14 years ago

Dear Annie~ So good to hear the news that Pinkums is eating and that she seems to be better. I hope she is able to come home soon.

A small correction to my earlier post---it is 18 hours per our veterinarian, not 48 hours, for cats that are not eating significantly, to be damaged.

GOod luck with Pinkums!!! Still pulling for her. Also good luck with the cash for clunkers...will be great to have a new car! Something we are thinking of doing too with one of our old cars.

Love and hugs, XXXX Becky

p.s. my kitty is doing better and eating/feeling much better today as well--yay.

• Annie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Becky,

Please forgive my being so insensitive to your kitty's problems. I was just so wrapped up in my own feelings about Pink that what you wrote didn't even sink in until today. I am sorry your little one is sick. They steal your heart and the vet steals your wallet! Bast--ds!
    I will be praying for your kitty that everything goes well.

Pink was tired today. She really ate a lot yesterday and my long visit was probably too long (plus all the chaos from Saturday was stressful), but she ate some tuna for me. She only had a little of the Miracle Milk today, but she ate enough. She may eat more later too. One of the gals in there actually paid attention yesterday and fed Pink this morning with a spoon. She said she just held it out in front of Pink and she ate it off the spoon. She said if that is the way Pink likes to eat it, she didn't mind feeding her that way. She is a very nice lady (She is the one who said that food taste better when your Mama feeds you). That makes me feel so much better to know that someone over there is looking out for my baby girl with care and love. I hugged her and thanked her. She hugged me back and said they would take good care of Pink and make sure she has everything she needs to get well. I told her I knew SHE would. She said, "You know that we will, don't you? I hope you do." Dr. J. thanked me and said goodbye as I was going out the surgery door. He thanked me for coming in and helping out and for all I was doing for The Pink Cat.

Going there unannounced is good. They never know when I am going to show up, so that may be keeping them on their toes. Well, whatever it takes to get my baby well!
    I will not go in tomorrow, but they don't know that. I will show up again on Wednesday, and hopefully driving my new car, with AC no less! Whooo hoo! Pink will be coming home in a nice cool car. It will be so good to have wheels again and AC too.

I am slap worn out from the heat. The truck I borrowed has no AC and it was in the 90s this morning when I left. By the time I got back home around 2 o'clock it was much hotter. I am exhausted to tell you the truth.
    I don't feel like watering but had to go set the sprinkler in the veggie garden as it was wilted. There are dark rain clouds rolling in - maybe we will get some rain out of them. I certainly hope so. It is so terribly dry and so awful hot. The wind feels like a furnace - suffocating.

Thanks everyone. Keep us all informed about how your kitty is fairing too, will you Becky? I do care and want to know.

Love and Hugs back,
    ~Annie

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

Sounds like things are on the upswing. Now if you can finally get a new car....fingers and toes all crossed.

Becky, I am sorry your kitty is ill also. Please keep us updated.

Kathy

• todancewithwolves
    14 years ago

Dear Becky and Annie,

This is terrible news. I'm so hoping and keeping fingers crossed for your kitties.

There is a wonderful young lady vet who answers question in the Pet forum, should or if you ever need that second opinion. Her name is Meghene. Meghene is absolutely wonderful and she loves her critters.

I will keep you both in my thoughts.

Edna

• Annie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kathy,

Things "seem" better, but she isn't really any better. Her condition has not changed one bit.
    She still is on oxygen.
    She still tires easily.
    She has lost about a pound of weight (doesn't sound like much but she is a small cat).
    She is thin.
    She is exhausted from struggling to breathe, even with the oxygen. She is worn out and has nothing to help her fight stressing.
    She still gets stressed easily and turns blue just picking her up or even just petting her for more than a few minutes. (this is actually worse than it was).
    She gets tired just eating and swallowing.
    She is still breathing rapidly and shallowly.
    She does not look good...at all!

We aren't anywhere near the turning point yet.
    I am just pleased that I am getting her to eat a little something.

The good news is that her liver tests show that it is still in good shape.

Please keep those good vibrations going for her. She has a long, long ways to go.

I'll let you know when she gets where we will know that she is definitely on the road to recovery.

Thanks everyone.
    Hugs.

~Annie

• BecR
    14 years ago

Hi Annie and everyone~ Thanks for the well wishes for my Bella. She is doing better and up and around a wee bit today-still weak though and not eating as much as yesterday.But fever seems gone and she has been cuddling on and off all day instead of hiding, so that is good.

Annie, I understand about exhaustion, it has set in for me and my hubby today also. Take care of yourself so that you can take care of Pinkums. And YAY about your new car (hopefully) with a/c!!!

Edna, thank you for the tip about the lady vet on the pet forum. I may check that out.

Sending out all my love and best wishes for Pinkums and all the other sick pets out there.

Keep me posted.

XXXX Becky

14 years ago

Edna which pet forum is it could you post a link?
    Becky sending healing vibes to your kitty too, I know what it's like to have ailing kitties, after awhile you feel like you've been dragged through a keyhole backwards. Got my fingers and toes crossed for both Annie's Pinkums and your kitty.

Annette

• todancewithwolves
    14 years ago

I have a link below, Annette.

When a question is posted be sure to add Meghane's name in the title. She's very truthful and helped many people (including me).

• Annie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update:

Pink is now eating on her own.
    She is not stressing as much. She is sitting up now.
    That is about the only changes so far, but it is a mile stone.

I am expecting a call from the vet after they get back from lunch. I will let you all know if there are any further changes.

Thanks for asking Eduarda.

~Annie

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

As I well know, it's 1 step forward and two backward some days.

Eating on her own is a very good sign.

• zigzag
    14 years ago

So happy to hear Pink's on a positive upswing. We've been thinking about her and checking here for updates all week. Continuing good cyberthoughts!

14 years ago

Eating on her own, this is a HUGE step, she should get stronger now, sending positive vibes straight to her. Poor little Pinkums she's been having such a rough time of it, give her a little hug from me the next time you're holding her.

Annette

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Annie, that is incredible! Everyday we meet in the greenhouse at church, we pray for The Pink Cat. A few people have said they include her in their prayers at other times too!! Lets hope a prayer is answered!

• BecR
    14 years ago

Hi Annie~ Thank you for the update. That is wonderful news. So happy to hear that Pinkums is sitting up and eating on her own--yay!!! Been checking here several x a day.

Love and hugs, Becky XXXXXXXXX

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Annie, that is a very good sign. When anything quits eating on its own, I worry. I hope she continues steady improvement.

Bless you both.

glenda

• Annie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi all!

The Pink Cat has been eating canned kitty tuna on her own for the past few days and I have been feeling very hopeful with that news, but yesterday the vet called to tell me that Pinkums ate some dry cat food - twice! That is the first time in over a month!
    She is very thin and looks gaunt, but now that she is eating, I expect that to change.

Today they are going to turn off the oxygen for about 30 minutes, WATCH her to make sure she doesn't stress out, and see if she can breathe on her own.
    I am so excited and hopeful!!!

I will let you know how she does.

Love and hugs to all of you. We feel so loved by all your devoted attention and prayers!

~Annie

• Eduarda
    14 years ago

Oh Annie, I'm so happy to hear that! Do let us know how the oxygen experiment goes. Keeping my fingers so tightly crossed for the little girl!

Becky, I hope your Bella is feeling better too.

Seems like quite a few people here at the forum have pets with health problems at the moment. Sending positive thoughts from across the Atlantic to all the sick pets, may they get well fast.

Eduarda

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

Doin' the Happy Dance!

• libbyshome
    14 years ago

That's wonderful, Annie. I think you loving persistence has helped to get where you are.

Hear's a hug for you and a gentle stroke for Pink Cat.

Libby

• zigzag
    14 years ago

Katie-Beaglette-(my) Little-Puppydoodle is sending/chaneling mega good thoughts to Pink! Continuing best thoughts to you both - rah, rah, Pink! :o)

• schoolhouse_gw
    14 years ago

Good news. We all need good news like this nowadays.

• Annie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Edna,

Thank you for the information and Link to the Pet Forum.
    And thank you for your thoughtful wishes for the two sick kitties.
    I did not mean to ignore you Dah-ling. You are my blood-sister - We Irish-Cherokees gotta stick together, especially when we have the same color of hair and the same lips! ;)

Please look on my other post about Pink to read the latest and see new photos.

Thank you all.

~Annie
    AKA "Sagewood Spirit"

Sponsored