SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleeperblues

Problem with adopted dog

sleeperblues
16 years ago

Hi, I usually post over at the Kitchen table, so am new to this forum but I hope you can give me some suggestions. 10 days ago I adopted a 6 year old female standard poodle from the shelter. I also have a 10 year old male standard and a 2 year old male minature poodle. The dog is very sweet inside the house, very loving and calm. The dogs all get along (or rather, all ignore each other but no fighting). The problem is outside behavior. I took all the dogs out to my friends farm to walk out in the country. My friend opened the back of the car and let all the dogs out, just as I was saying "I think Masha needs to be on a leash". Too late, she took off and we had a heck of a time catching her, finally cornering her in the barn. Then, on Friday as I was nearing home with the three dogs on leash, she saw a bunny and ripped the leash out of my hands and took off. This was at 8:30 at night, and I searched for her for hours and gave up on her. I had asked some boys playing basketball to help me catch her, and I would pay the one who caught her 20 dollars. By this time it was pitch dark, so I told them to give up if they wanted and gave them my phone number and went home. About an hour they called me that they had her.

I usually walk my dogs twice a day for a total of about 7 miles, sometimes 10. I don't think it is a lack of exercise that causes her to run and not return, but rather a lack of discipline. Is it too late for this old dog to learn new tricks? I have thought about maybe purchasing a shock collar to stop her when she runs away, but am not sure that this is the right thing to do. I live in a very small town with not a lot of options for training classes. I really don't know if I should keep a dog that I can't rely on to come when called, but she is just so sweet and loving in the house.

Comments (19)