SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jooly_gw

Help! Can't Walk New Adopted Dog

jooly
16 years ago

Hello Everyone! I am new to this forum and could use some advice. Recently I have acquired a rescued german shepherd (18-20mos, but 75lbs) and I'm having a little sibling rivalry going on with him and my dog of 7yrs. I realize they are having some dominance issues that they need to work out, however my problem is walking. The German Shepherd - Frank - as attached himself to me and I've been trying to take him for a walk to get him 'worn out' so I can have an easier time training him. The problem is, I can't get him out the front door. He just will not go. He will allow me to put the leash on him, but as soon as I open the door, he starts pulling back inside the house. I am not sure what to do. Today I walked him in circles around the living room for 1/2 and hour, but it didn't seem to wear him out at all. I've even tried switching from a regular collar to a lead collar, but it did not seem to help.

My 7yr old dog - Dos - goes with me everywhere, loves car rides, etc. I travel alot all over the metroplex and she comes with me everywhere. I havn't taken her with me the last few weeks b/c I do not want to leave Frank by himself. Is there a good way to 'train' a dog to like to travel? Or do most dogs just not do it?

Perhaps I'm just approaching the wrong issues first?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Comments (10)