SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iforgotitsonevermind

Sofa dilemma

Hello.

I have a terrier mix that about 18 months ago started expressing a desire to sit on the sofa when I am on the sofa too. He would go curl up at one end and I would take up the other 2/3 of the sofa.

That was fine and I enjoyed having the companionship with him on the sofa too. My other dog goes and hangs out somewhere else in the house usually.

Well recently he started sprawling out more on the sofa and encroaching on where I normally sit or lay. He often will touch me in some fashion by placing a paw on my leg or leaning against me a little.

So the problem is if I go to push or slide him over to his side of the sofa he will growl at me. Last night I just pushed him over anyway and he snapped at me. I then immediately pushed him off the sofa altogether and so far I have not let him sit on the sofa.

This has always been a sweet dog. Never any issues with knowing who's in charge or assert any dominance over me. He is very bossy with the other dog but that's pretty typical of terriers I guess.

I am not sure if I should continue to deny him the right to sit on the sofa or not. Or maybe I should only let him sit on the sofa on his side. Do you think he would recognize the difference? Is he trying to assert dominance over me by sitting on the sofa, you think?

Comments (53)

• annzgw
    14 years ago

As handymac said, Do Not let him on the sofa unless you've invited him. Allowing him to get on it anytime he wants to is allowing him to claim the sofa. When someone else sits in his spot, make him stay off the sofa. Once he's minding you and no longer growling, only then should you let guests (if they want him to) call him onto the sofa.

Most dogs don't like to be pushed physically so when he starts taking over your section of the sofa by stretching out, either start working with him to learn a verbal command such as 'move over' or make him get off the sofa. He'll learn..........

• iforgotitsonevermind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I didn't know that about dogs not liking to be pushed. That seems like a good explanation. It's now been a couple of days and he has wanted to get on the sofa but I blocked and he just sat on the floor. So sad. Thanks!

• Related Discussions

Advice needed regarding sectional sofa dilemma

Q

Comments (5)
    That is the only living space in the house. It's a townhouse we're renting for a year or two. We sacrificed on space to be close to the beach, which has been an awesome choice, until Irma, of course. We don't have any other "real" furniture for the living area, and we wanted to avoid purchasing anything until we bought a home, but when the old sofa had to go, we had to replace that. So we don't have any other seating, but it's really not a big deal. We don't have kids or family in the area, and we don't have a bunch of people over at one time, so the sectional is enough for our current needs. Is there anything in particular you would suggest for ottomans? I would like something that fits physically with the sofa to get something close to a chaise feel without having to close off the space permanently as you would with a chaise. Finding the right size is important too, as I dislike the really big ottomans for sectionals; they take up way too much space and prevent the use of a coffee table.
    ...See More

sofa dilemma ! need help quick

Q

Comments (8)
    I know this is not your dilemma, but you're going to make some chiropractor very happy with your TV that high. Why, when you have a huge room with a great big wall that could hold the TV at an ergonomic height? And with two sofas facing each other here, no one on either sofa will be able to watch without turning AND craning their necks. I would rethink your arrangement before you buy seating. Just sayin'....
    ...See More

deep couch dilemma

Q

Comments (8)
    pictures #2 and #3 and probably #4, (in my first comment) are low back and have pillows that are higher. I think it looks fine. Try HomeGoods. you can find pillows in all colors/styles and sizes for a decent price. and you can return them if you find you don't like them once you try them at home.
    ...See More

TV/Couch Dilemma

Q

Comments (1)
    M J, you have 3 posts going and one is getting replies. I suggest you delete two of them.
    ...See More
  • mazer415
    14 years ago

You did the right thing. You dog is just seeing itself as the boss. More basic training and leash walking will take care of this - oh and your dog should have to earn its place on the couch by being a good dog.

• iforgotitsonevermind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

But he goes on long walks and at least an hour a day of exercise and he's made it up to advanced level obedience classes. He has earned his place on the couch and he IS a good dog. My complaint is that he has started taking over the couch and gets mean when I try to move him off to the side. Please elaborate.

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

This is classic Resource Guarding - a very common behavior. If you do a Google search you'll find good articles on dealing with it.

• iforgotitsonevermind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have done a google search on resource guarding but have not found any articles on dealing with this specifically as he is not an aggressive dog and doesn't guard anything else other than hogging part of the sofa. He will gladly get off the sofa if I ask too. The problem is when I go to slide him over.

He doesn't guard his food, toys or anything else. He growls when the other dog goes to steal something but that's the extent of it. The other dog just takes what he wants.

• pjb999
    14 years ago

It's like a dog sharing your bed. My ex and I used to let my old dog lie on the bed, it was nice and snuggly and the kids loved it in the morning, but when I came home from work late I discovered he would growl at me when I went to go to bed.

Then I learned about the territory thing, he assumed he was top dog since he got dibs on the prime sleeping spot, and the couch is an extension of it. He's challenging you. Dogs are pack animals and need to know their place, and if you have kids it's important they are above him too.

You don't have to be mean or angry, just firm. It's important that you establish the pecking order, and be consistent.

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

Resource guarding doesn't mean the dog guards everything or acts "aggressive" in other situations. It can only be one thing, like in your situation. But if it left unchecked, any resource guarding can escalate into nipping/biting and guarding other things.

The general method to deal with this is to do a trade. Tell the dog "Off" the couch (don't ask, tell) and when he gets off, give him a small but high-value treat. Do this until the dog understands that giving up the couch will get him something better, and eventually that doing what a human wants is a very good thing.

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

Seating/sleeping locations are indicators of a dog's position in a pack too. So for example, when a friend of mine brings over his Basenji, he will take the chair of where a "top dog" AKA my husband has just got up from. Another example, when we take our dog in the car, leave him, then come back, he will often be in the driver seat. When we open the door, he immediately moves to the back. But he got to sit in the top dog spot while we were gone.

Sofas and chairs are higher up than the floor, another indicator of being higher up the pack ladder.

Even if he growls when you move him over to the side, you are still challenging his position there.

• iforgotitsonevermind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Very intersting gina. I have noticed that dogs move over to the drivers seat. I always thought that was to follow me out the door or see where I went. So what do you think I should do. Let him stay on the sofa sometimes or never?
    My house has a lot of high up sleeping locations. The staircase that looks out over the greatroom has 2 landings where the dogs often sit and look out over the room and out the window. Then there is the balcony at the top where they are going to be higher up than people no matter what.

Keeping them lower is not an option.

• User
    14 years ago

The height of a dog is only important when in referrence to a person. A dog can be on the second floor when a person is on the first floor.

The important part is the position in the same room/area. And the amount of dominant characteristics shown by the dog. The dog on the couch is exhibiting strong dominent behavior---which have to be dealt with by stronger dominance. He is not allowed on the couch. That alone is enough---for that one situation.

Oh, the reward thing. Pack leaders do not reward for following the rules. That is expected behavior. Rewards are fine for play time or learning tricks---but NOT for obedience. Reason is that rewarding teaches a learned behavior---obeying the rules has to be much more important and requires obedience period.

The pack leader does not get mad, yell, or hit the offender. A sharp correction is all that is required---dogs growl or nip---humans can use NO!, a short side jerk on a leash, or a grunt(My choice to eliminate misunderstandings). BUT! That correction has to come quite rapidly as the offense begins---the longer it takes for the correction means the longer it takes to get compliance.

• pjb999
    14 years ago

Handymac is quite right - bribing a dog? Not going to establish the correct pecking order, is it. I was told saying "BAH!" sharply and loudly approximated the corrective noise an alpha dog would make. I think whatever you do as long as it's sharp is ok.

I hadn't thought of the height thing as it applies to floors - one of my dog's favourite positions is at the top of the stairs - main floor - so for the most part she is on the same level that we are, I think she likes the view outside/down to the front door, and the cool spot on the floor.

Dogs on beds and couches, and disobedience goes hand in hand. I liked it with the old dog but realised it gave the wrong signals.

I also discovered that they like to be near the alpha dogs whilst maintaining the separate distance, my ex's family had always shut their dogs in the laundry, so we did mine, he was miserable and often clawed at the door frame. I started letting him stay on his bed in the living room at night, and he was happier.

Our current dog, we crate-trained - didn't need any training, she took to it like a duck to water. Her crate is in our room, which she loves, and our bed is quite high, so we have that elevation. She will come to the side of the bed and nudge our elbow in the morning when one of us lets her out, but will never attempt to get up. Her best friend, our neighbour's dog, is a sweetie but spoiled and will jump on their bed or couch, but she learned that doesn't fly in our house.

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

If the dog is growling at you at all, I consider this as always 100% unacceptable. So my answer is no, don't allow him on the couch at all for now.

As far as the bribing, there is practical and there is ideal. Ideally, owners shouldn't have to bribe. But frankly, iforgotitsonevermind doesn't seem to be a strong leader type that can snap a finger or lower her/his voice and get the desired reaction.. (In this situation, please don't get mad at me iforgotitsonevermind!)

So the "trade" method may be better suited to iforgotitsonevermind's personality. Also, many people are automatically scared of a growling dog and freeze up.

Forgive me if I'm wrong.

• iforgotitsonevermind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

But I've said already that the dog will get off the sofa if I ask him to. The second I get up, he gets up. He won't use the sofa unless I'm on it. I don't need to bribe him. All I have to do is stand up.

He doesn't growl unless I go to slide him over. He is submissive otherwise. He even turns over for tummy rubs although I only give him tummy rubs when he's on the floor.

Maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing over this growling (when I slide him) thing because like I said he has made it up to advanced level obedience. He does not have a behavior problem other than this, that's why I let him use the sofa to begin with.

The dogs have sat higher up on those landings for years and not once have they ordered *me* to do anything.

• User
    14 years ago

So, it seems to me you have asked for advice, gotten it in several workable solutions, and are saying now there is only a teeny small problem?

The dog should NOT growl when moved. You are undermining part of that obedience training by allowing him the opportunity to growl.

The landing thing has no bearing. I must have not made my attempt at explaining the height thing clear. When the dog is on the couch, it creates a situation where he thinks he is on an equal level---which elicits the growl when you move him. He obeys at all other times---as you said. Domination does not start all at once, it is a gradual process.

• iforgotitsonevermind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

handymac, the following is verbatim from my original posting
    So the problem is if I go to push or slide him over to his side of the sofa he will growl at me. Last night I just pushed him over anyway and he snapped at me. I then immediately pushed him off the sofa altogether and so far I have not let him sit on the sofa.

This has always been a sweet dog. Never any issues with knowing who's in charge or assert any dominance over me. He is very bossy with the other dog but that's pretty typical of terriers I guess.

I know the dog should not growl when moved. That is why I posted here. The solutions I was given were as follows

1.) Do not allow the dog on the sofa (Doesn't really fix the problem)
    2.) Teach him on/off. Lure if necessary (He already knows this. But perhaps practicing sliding him and then ordering him down if he growls is one way to train it out of him)
    3.) Allow him on the sofa in only 15 minute increments. (This is generally all he will sit on the sofa anyway. He gets down. Walks around. Sees what the other dog is doing. Lays on the floor for a while. Goes to get a drink of water. Then comes back. I don't think he will associate designated couch times with the growling)
    4.) Only let him on the sofa when invited. (I'm still thinking this one through. It was my original plan to do this but it all went out the window a long time ago)
    5.) Sharp correction. (Not necessary)
    6.) Say "BAH!" (Oddly enough I have noticed this dog uses this noise when trying to be tough with the other dog and on occassion I have made the noise just for fun and the dog freaks out a little) So I'm not going to knock this one but I'm not confident it will be effective in this case.
    7.) More leash walking and obedience training. (He's had more obedience training than most dogs and continues to get it at home. We walk long walks and have a minimum of 1 hour of vigorous exercise a day. He growls when he wants to be left to sleep. It's not like he's bored or restless)

Did I leave any of the workable solutions out?
    Please keep the workable solutions coming. I really appreciate them and I am paying attention.

• centralcacyclist
    14 years ago

"Terrier-mix" explains it all! (Grin!)

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

You say a sharp correction isn't necessary but people here do not agree with you. Any growl warrants an immediate sharp correction.

• User
    14 years ago

Without seeing how you and the dog interact, it is difficult to make the correct call.

The growl is dominant behavior. Obedience training only works if the obedience is demanded/expected. That is how dogs instinct works. If obedience to the pack leader is not demanded, many dogs will start assuming dominant behavior---it is instinctive.

Not letting him on the couch does fix the problem. He has no chance for the unwanted behavior. It is part of the demand for obedience.

There are dogs that can be allowed to do things that a dominant dog cannot be allowed to do. I have one---a whippet mix female who can pretty much do anything she wants---get on the bed, sleep on the bed with me/grandkids, play with the grandkids on the floor. All things our GSD/chow mix dominant male CANNOT do.

And she does those things with the male sleeping at the foot of the bed, playing in the yard, or watching her do any of those things. Because he has to OBEY. Period. NO exceptions. He has no inkling of fairness or equality---he just obeys because I require it.

And he does obey because I do not let him disobey. I have never struck him to make a correction. I do use a finger to his neck on occasion to get his attention---but I only started doing that after I had established my dominance---before that he would have bitten me. (I rescued him from a family who could not control him.)

During his rehabilitation, he frequently growled at me when I made a correction. I simply backed him into his open kennel---using superior body language(something dogs understand) and remaining until he relaxed. Never said or did anything else except the negative grunt I use as a vocal warning(equal to the growl dogs use.)

I write this only to show how treating a dog like they understand works. The family who had him have seen him after my rehabilitation and cannot believe the change nin him. The mom even remarked how much happier he seemed to be.

To be successful at being a pack leader---in order to have dogs obey---you have to treat a dog like other dogs would treat them. It is the only way. You cannot be a dogs buddy and his pack leader.

Oh, I do have scratch and play time with both dogs---and the female devils the heck out of the male---he picked her at the shelter.

• iforgotitsonevermind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Not letting him on the sofa doesn't fix the problem.

That's like saying my car wouldn't start this morning so I'll fix it by not going to work.

The problem is when I go to slide my dog over, he growled.
    If he is kept off the sofa then I won't have a foot warmer on the other end.

As for the correction.. If my memory serves me when he snapped I said "Ah!" and placed him on the floor. I think that was adequate and he was able to correlate the snapping with losing his spot on the couch.

• darenka
    14 years ago

I've read this post with interest because I'm always hoping to pick up training information. Let me say at the outset, that I'm not a fabulous trainer. This reminds me of a situation with the first dog I helped train. He was a Chesapeake Bay Retriever (a breed that is often head-strong and a little stubborn--not unlike a terrier in this way.) He was a field and trial champion, and had numerous obedience certificates. He would do every obedience drill with me, and he thought I was a wuss. You know, the dog was right, I am a wuss. I guess in human terms, we could say the dog did not respect me. He would growl at me when he didn't like something I did. I learned my lesson, and ever since, I've had softy dogs. I will NOT adopt a Rottie or even a Terrier--because those dogs do not respect me. I love dogs so much and I think they are so incredibly bright. They have all the social dynamics of a household figured out within about 10 minutes of entering your home. I've heard them called the supreme social parasite, and I think this is apt.

I really mean this with all the kindness in my heart. I suspect your dog thinks you are a wuss. The whole dominance issue is very complex and I think it often gets way too over simplified. It's fabulous that your dog is obedience trained, or you'd have a big problem. The fact that he gets up, when you get up is immaterial--he probably thinks he made you get up--he has you well trained to his thinking. Of course he can do obedience drills--he's not stupid is he. But....., he's pushy and assertive to friends and other dogs, he's encroaching on your space, and sometimes he growls--he's king. While not a great trainer, I'm a great observer of dogs. I tend to have better attitudes from the rescues that have come through my home after we practice long down-stays. I do this daily for 30 minutes and I tell the horde it's so they can remember that mama is a benevolent queen. I don't know if it works for Terrier, but it works well for the biddable marshmallows I have. Obviously you don't have a huge problem. I think what people are suggesting is you change the dynamics in your household before it becomes a problem. Don't let the sassy two-year old turn into the terrible, wrathful teenager.

• User
    14 years ago

Withb all due respect, I do not believe you want to be a pack leader. Which is your business.

However, wanting a dog as a foot warmer is not a good reason to own a dog.

I hope the growling incident is the only problem you will encounter when interacting with your---or other---dogs.

• iforgotitsonevermind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Darenka, he is about 6 years old, not 2. He has been using the sofa for about 2 years. I had a feeling that would get confusing when I wrote that.
    I really don't think lack of respect is the problem. He appears to idolize me, really. He follows me everywhere I go. My other dog is fairly manipulative so I know what that's like. This dog doesn't do that. He's up for anything. Not sappy but very clingy velcro rescue dog. Always paying attention to where I am and what I am doing.

Handymac, are you trying to say that you're out of ideas? If so, thanks anyway for participating.

• shroppie
    14 years ago

I'm really not sure how many more ideas you need. Handymac gave a very simple solution to a very simple problem. The dog growls = the dog does not get to be on the couch.

The car analogy is really not accurate. More appropriate would be...My horse tries to kick me every time i walk behind him. The simple solution ... and one that most horsemen subscribe to ... is not to walk behind the horse. Yes, you can walk very closely to the horse's hindquartes so that th kck doesn't have much power and blah blah blah, but it's so much simpler to just say "Never walk behind a horse"

If you want to complicate things...and many people do... allow the dog on the couch, give him an "off" command, settle yourself on the couch and then allow him back up. Not where you want him to be? Give another "off" (or "move" or whatever) and then allow him to settle back on the couch again.

I have dogs that are allowed on furniture and dogs that aren't. I don't slide dogs around though as I've found that (1)most don't particularly enjoy the sensation and (2)I, as Supreme Ruler of the (dog's) Universe, don't stoop to physically manipulating a being that is capable of moving itself. I say "move" and either everything is hunky-dory and we settle in for some reading or I say "off" and the dog gets to settle on the floor for the night.

• iforgotitsonevermind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How about this analogy.

A dog is fearful and anxious around adult men.
    A solution can be to keep the dog away from adult men (keeping the dog off the sofa)
    or
    A solution can be to socialize the dog and teach the dog that adult men are nothing to be afraid of through positive exposure.

Here's what I've started doing. I'm letting him on the sofa. If he moves into the center or starts sprawling out, I slide him over to his side. When/if he growls, I make him get down and about 30 seconds later I invite him back. Rinse & repeat.

He seems to be getting it. I think he's growling because he doesn't want to move from that spot and somewhere along the line, he must have growled and he was left alone. So that's worked for him. And now I am going to try teaching him that growling does not work. Growling ends you up on the floor. And I'm betting it will also teach him that he has to stay on his cushion.

Any thoughts on this technique? I know that the overwhelming solution is to just keep him off the sofa but that doesn't really solve the growling problem. It just removes one of the conditions that triggers the growling. I'd bet you a million dollars if he was laying on the floor next to the sofa and I pushed him away, I'd get growled at for that too.

• User
    14 years ago

My point was not so much never letting the dog on the couch---I said not to as the first step of the complete correction process.

People get tired of hearing Be the Pack Leader over and over. The problem there is that being the pack lader is a full time 24/7/366 job.

A canine pack leader never allows any breach of compliance to go unpunished. A growl is a breach and the pack leader has to correct that breach---or they begin loosing status.

Many people don't want to be a pack leader, they only want a dog for a buddy, for comfort, as social standing, or other similar reasons. Dogs do not understand nor care about any of those. They are simply dogs, programmed to react as their inborn instincts dictate.

Some dogs do not need strict pack leaders. My neighbor has one of those dogs. Cutest little ball of love you ever saw. Loves everyone, has numerous cute habits and never causes any trouble---save a bit of barking now and then.

I've not said a word about being a pack leader---it is not necessary---and may never be.

But, by the same token---she cannot fathom how to approach my guard dog---who will take advantage of her inabilities. My three year old granddaughter has better control of Max than the adult neighbor---because she understands some of the pack leader concepts.

So, my advice was two fold---no couch until the owner understands pack leader actions---and pack leader corrections when the on the couch growl happens.

I hope that is more clear.

• iforgotitsonevermind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Many people don't want to be a pack leader because PEOPLE are not PACK ANIMALS!

I understand the need for consistency but you're taking the Cesar Milan philosophy too far IMO. Dogs need to learn how to behave in a human society not the other way around.

• sephia
    14 years ago

You've described your situation, asked for ideas on how to resolve it, people have provided you with recommendations, and you argue about the advice you're being given? If you know it all, why did you bother to post a question? If you don't like the suggestions you're receiving, then ignore them - no one is forcing you to do anything.

• User
    14 years ago

Dogs cannot learn to behave like people. Taint possible, they do not have the brain for it.

That means people have to learn how to treat dogs in order to have happy healthy dogs.

Sorry, but that is the bottom line.

I disagree that people are not pack animals, BTW----just look at how societies are organized. Just like a pack of wild animals.

• jamas
    14 years ago

People are most certainly pack animals - it's why solitary confinement is considered harsh punishment. If your dog is growling at you when you move him, you're not a leader in his eyes.
    Why in the world would you slide him anyway? I'm with Shroppie in that I don't push and prod my dogs. They are given a verbal command and expected to follow it. Give him an "off" command
    Idon't really know why I'm bothering to respond...you've derided every suggestion you've been given.

• User
    14 years ago

We are obviously not succeeding as pack leaders. ;)

• iforgotitsonevermind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm not saying humans aren't social animals but we aren't pack animals, sorry. If we were, the Cesar Millan technique you are all suggesting would come naturally to us. We'd go around biting one another on the top of the neck and go "BAH!" Speaking of solitary confinement... doing that would likely earn one a spot in a padded room.

Sephia & Jamas, On Saturday 6/27 at 11:08 my time, I posted a summary of all that has been suggested. I am grateful for those responses and welcome new ones.
    It's true, I did say that I don't think merely keeping him off the sofa solves the problem, but I'm not trying to argue with anyone. I do appreciate the advice and continued efforts to help me.

In a couple of posts, I described what I am doing and welcome feedback on that technique.

Jamas, Just a reminder, I am trying to train my dog not to growl when moved on the sofa and I am also trying to train him to stay on his side of the sofa. That is the goal, not the punishment. When he does growl, he is given a verbal command to get off the sofa. I don't do any pushing or prodding to punish him. Does that clear things up for you?

• User
    14 years ago

I owned and raised horses for 20 years. I also had dogs---and cats during that time. And two sons.

The end result of my intentions for raising all of those kids and animals was to succeed in training all of them to be well behaved and be able to perform certain tasks.

Now, I had the same goals for all---but did not uise the same techniques. I did not grunt negatives at the horses/cats/kids---JUST the dogs. I used a water pistol on the cats---but not the kids. I used reason/reward/punishment to raise the sons.

Treat dogs like dogs, cats like cats, horses like horses, and people like people.

It is really very simple.

• jamas
    14 years ago

You stated in the OP: if I go to PUSH or SLIDE him over to his side of the sofa he will growl at me. Last night I just PUSHED him over anyway and he snapped at me. I then immediately PUSHED him off the sofa altogether and so far I have not let him sit on the sofa.

I never mentioned punishment. I stated that I do not physically manipulate my dogs. I do not PUSH them off or SLIDE them over. I give a command - they follow the command. I hope that clears up things for you.

• iforgotitsonevermind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK. I believe I should be able to handle my pets by gently pushing or sliding them. I push and slide my other dog on the grooming table constantly. Giving a verbal command might actually be the most idea thing to do though. To give him a verbal command to move to his side but at the same time I don't want him to growl if I go to push him. Even though I don't do that frequently, he should be exposed to all sorts of safe and gentle handling. Afterall if he can sit on my lap and learn to let me clip his nails and touch his foot pads and learn all these other tricks that he does, being gently pushed over without growling should be easy enough to learn. Having him snap at people that push him is a bit of a liability.

• joepyeweed
    14 years ago

How does number one on your list of advice given, not solve the problem?

And I am wondering what your exact goals are --- perhaps if you defined that better, you might get better advice.

You don't have to be contrary with everyone who gives advice that you don't like, you can just ignore it and use the advice that works for you.

I bet number 6 on your advice list will be more effective than you think. Terriers respond better to voice commands that physical ones (your push/slide is a physical correction).

And growling/snapping is typical terrier behavior. He is letting you know that he wants to be left alone. You need to let him know that its your couch and he sitting there at your privilege. I had a JRT who growled every time she went up and down the stairs...it was disconcerting to people who didn't know her. It was just a vocalization that she associated with stairs? Terriers are vocal animals.

• shroppie
    14 years ago

Again, I am confused. I don't understand why you're worried about someone else pushing your dog EVER. No one touches my dogs for anything other than an ear rub or butt scritch but me. I do not allow dogs to push their way onto a sofa when guests are over. The couch is not the dog's "spot". It's MY spot and I decide who sits there. Guests should never be put in a position where they feel they have to physically correct your animals, whether it's a push or a swat.

How old is the dog? Can arthritis be an issue? I have 3 herniated discs. If someone pushed me...gently or not...during a sciatica flare-up, I'd take a baseball bat to them (as soon as i managed to stand) and I'm a human being with the abilitiy to stay "Stop pushing me"

Some of my dogs have growled when something occurs that they don't like. Growling IS after all a form of communication. Dogs do not have the ability to take you gently by the hand and say "I'd prefer that you not do that" They can get up and walk away. They can growl or lift a lip. They can air snap. They can bite. If I'm cleaning ears or clipping nails, the dog can't get up and walk away. Maybe I'm holding him too tightly or in an awkward position. He growls. I re-assess what I'm doing, make sure he's as comfortable as can be, tell him to knock it off and continue. I'm not upset about the growl. I don't think he's going to rip the face off the next stranger he encounters. He NEEDS his ears cleaned, he NEEDS his nails clipped. My job is to do so in a way that causes him the least amount of distress and his job is to tolerate the handling.

You've said that the dog tolerates other handling. You've said that the dog will move off the couch when commanded. The dog has communicated that he does not like to be pushed. If there is another way to work around this problem(and there are, obviously, as you've been given several alternatives), I fail to see why this is such a huge issue for you. Allow him ON the couch only when you command and command him to get OFF the couch when his position is not comfortable for you. There will be no growling.

I cannot make this any more simple.

• User
    14 years ago

One more attempt. You stated pushing the dog is what you want.

All this time I, and others, =have been telling you dogs have to be treated in a manner they understand---like other DOGS would treat them. If any alpha dog---and your terrier is alpha---were to be pushed by another dog---GROWL/SNAP---depending on the severity of the mistake.

• iforgotitsonevermind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Joe Pye--
    One goal is is to teach the dog that growling does not work. Not to growl when handled. Another goal is to teach the dog where he is allowed on the sofa. Specifically what cushion. Keeping him off the sofa does not accomplish either goal although it may be possible to teach him not to growl in some other location.

Shroppie-- 6 years old. Possible yes but that's not what is going on here.

Handymac--
    Thanks for continuing to try with me. Are you saying I should growl & snap at my dog for growling and snapping at me?

• joepyeweed
    14 years ago

Everyone has said not to push your dog, use the verbal command. When you resort to physical correction, you are taking the submissive role.

Teaching a terrier not to growl might be like teaching a kangaroo not to hop.

• User
    14 years ago

As a rule, dogs take a course of action in day to day relationships requiring the least energy----saves the energy for more important things---catching food, for instance.

A pack leader has several indicative actions---body language, verbal commands, and as a last resort, physical action.

In your case, allowing the dog on the couch means you are allowing him to become more alpha. Which is fine---as long as YOU become more alpha as well.

The second he begins to stretch into more than the area he needs(that 1/3 of the couch)---you need to make a verbal correction---and make sure he complies. That will establish the bounderies and rules dogs need to have to be happy.

Look at a dog like it is water----as long as the water is directed and contained, it is beneficial. Once the direction/containment is removed---the water becomes unmanageable---goes whereever it can and messes up things in the process.

Look at dogs that are tied/ignored---they bark constantly, run in circles, chew on things---and act miserably----because they are miserable.

They have no structure. My GSD/chow mix was just such a miserable dog. He barked incessantly, attacked anything that moved and was quiet only when kenneled.

I gave him a job(guarding) and rules(direction) and exercise---and now he has no issues with people(unless they are uninvited) But, the rules today are just as stringently enforced as they were three years ago----he just seldom tries to break them now.

In your case---allow the dog on the couch. But make a verbal correction as he BEGINS the bad behavior. Then he will understrand and the problem will be solved---as long as you make the correction always.

I actually have several sounds to stop bad behavior. Mild corrections are an Eh!, more severe are an Aaaaaah! and the most severe is a sort of growl---low and intense. I use those sounds to eliminate the confusion when I correct a grandchild with a No! or similar verbal correction.

Oh, and I have a very timid girl dog---I never use any correction with her but the first one----she responds so quickly the others are not necessary.

They are so used to these sounds, people often miss the actual correction.

• iforgotitsonevermind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If I don't slide him, he won't growl. If he won't growl, I can't correct him with a verbal command.

Sliding the dog is no longer the correction. It's the goal.
    Like I said before my other dog I can slide around all day long and he doesn't mind. He would actually make a pretty good dust mop.

So I want to be able to slide him on the sofa, on the floor, on the grooming table, in the bath, wherever and not have him growl.

The sliding isn't to correct him for sitting in the wrong place anymore.

• User
    14 years ago

Good luck. I see I cannot help you.

• iforgotitsonevermind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Don't give up yet.

Here's a video showing the problem. Maybe this will help you understand and be able to better help me. Pay particular attention to where he rests his paw when he comes to sit down there.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1 minute video of the dog growling when slid

• sephia
    14 years ago

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything. Looks like he moved over and then just got down.

What is the issue?

• iforgotitsonevermind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If you listen closely, you can hear him growling. You have to turn up the volume on your computer or speakers and listen carefully to hear it. I should have mentioned that before.

He is getting off the sofa now automatically but it seems like he's expecting to get told to get down after being slid rather than for the growling.

• seattlemike
    14 years ago

handymac: I just have to commend you for the exceptionally calm and collected manner that you demonstrated with your 12 (who's counting?) replies to this post. You strike me as a very patient and respectful person. Others have also done well here, but you get the Grand Prize in my book!

• annzgw
    14 years ago

First, I think you need to change your goals and after seeing the video, I can see why he's unhappy when you push him around. You state that arthritis or other physical problems is not an issue here but how do you know for sure? My dog had disc problems at a very early age.

Just because your other dog lets you do anything to it, it's not fair to compare Shroppie to your other dog.
    They're two different breeds and two totally different personalities........and my guess is that Shroppie is pretty smart!

From the video he looks confused and seems to expect something is going to happen.
    He's a cute, adorable dog and I think you should enjoy cuddling with him, but when you don't want to cuddle give him a command. It doesn't always have to be 'get off the sofa'. I'd place a blanket on the sofa so that he knows his area to stay in. When I no longer want my dog in my lap all I have to say is 'stay back' or 'lie down' and he goes back to his spot.
    Use treats if you need to or just pat the sofa in the area you want him to stay.

The paw on your leg is cute, but it could be a dominance gesture. Can't say for sure since I don't know the relationship between you and your dog.

This really is a very small issue and can be easily solved by adjusting your expectations.
    If your goal continues to be 'sliding him anywhere' then I think the results are not going to be happy ones.

• iforgotitsonevermind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow. great info. Thanks annz!
    I like the idea of a blanket so he knows where his spot is.
    By the way, "shroppie" is that other forum member, not the dog's name.

What do you think of using the verbal correction that handymac suggested instead of using a command like "off" or tapping the blanket?

• annzgw
    14 years ago

Sorry Shroppie! That's what happens when I'm up late!

Yes, I agree with handymac. Using a verbal command along with tapping/patting the blanket will guide the dog so he knows where you want him to go. You can't just give a command and expect him to know what you expect of him.

Don't hesitate to use hand gestures along with the command while you're working with your dog. Often, all I need to do is hold my hand up with the palm facing the dog when I give the command 'stay back'.