SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lulup_gw

Crate Training

lulup
15 years ago

I recently got a 6 month old schnoodle as an indoor pet. I am working on house training him and he has been doing fairly well with that. The first few days, I was able to stay at home with him so that he could get used to his new environment. I left the house a few times for about an hour and put him in his crate with toys, blanket and a couple of treats, praising him when he is in the crate. I also feed him in his crate now and leave him in there for a few minutes after he is done (while I am in the room). Now, I am back to work and leaving him in his crate during the day. I am able to come home twice throughout the day to take him out to potty and run around for a few moments. At his previous home, he was kept with his litter mates in a larger crate and was never really alone. When I put him in his crate and leave the house, he barks, cries and moans for about 5 minutes each time. Today was the first day of this new crate schedule and I know it will just take time for him to get used to it. Are there any tips that will help make the crating process (when I am not there) easier on him and on me? I hate to hear him cry when I leave him alone!

Comments (6)