SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canobeans_gw

Darnit, I like this color. Now what? (pics)

canobeans
16 years ago

OK, I have to stop muddling through this myself and ask for help. Help! Sorry, this is gonna be long -- you're a trooper if you hang in there.

First thing to know is that we will be putting our house on the market in a couple of months. So my decision-making is affected by that -- pick neutral colors blah blah blah.

So I'm trying to get various spaces painted and coordinated with each other. Last year, we painted our LR, hallways and stairway all in SW Chopsticks. A whole lotta work and paint. I don't dislike it, it's pretty enough, gets a little too yellow sometimes but otherwise looks nice. But I don't LOVE it. It's a light, slightly grayed-down warm beige. I picked it after testing more than ten colors, and it just was the best of those -- but not a dream color.

Our entryway is open to the LR, but definitely a distinct space. If we weren't selling, I'd put up wallpaper, but that ain't happening. I would really like it to be different from the LR though -- the Chopsticks is a little insipid for an entryway and wouldn't hold its own against my green DR.

I thought about a kind of pinky/orangey/coral color, but couldn't find the right shade. So I threw caution to the wind and painted it SW Bold Brick. Gorgeous, gorgeous color. But -- a bit too much contrast with the Chopsticks. See? (Picture quality here sucks, I know -- the Chopsticks isn't that yellow). Ignore the dog's bone, he's not so good at picking up his toys.

So then I splotched BM Classic Caramel -- too dark. Threw caution to the wind again (I am so sick of splotching) and went up a shade on the swatch to BM Guesthouse. Had it mixed up in Aura -- nice paint! It's really beautiful and yummy. I love it. But...I think it's still too much contrast with the Chopsticks.

Now, my DR is SW Sassy Green -- gorgeous, but quite bold. Realtor recommends we repaint it in a neutral color, but DH and I are balking. We love it as is and I'm thinking one room with a little more pizazz might be OK. A lot of people are into color on the walls these days, right? And everything else, except for the kids rooms, is turning out to be just one beige shade after another. We have BM Blond Wood in our MBR, and I just painted the guest room SW Macadamia.

So here are a couple more pics of the BM Guesthouse in the entry, showing it as you look into the LR and into the DR. The Chopsticks looks a lot darker than it really is in the last one of these.

Just to make it all a little more complicated, I need to paint my kitchen which opens into both the DR and LR, and I'm a bit constrained in there by the fact that we have green granite and it's a little dark, so I want to keep the wall color lighter. It will probably end up some shade of...beige.

So whatever direction I go in the entry/LR/DR will impact the kitchen color decision too.

Here's my dilemma (finally!) -- I really like the entry in the BM Guesthouse. I don't want to repaint the space again, argh! I really think it would look "meh" in the Chopsticks. But I worry that it's too choppy having it in a different color. Sooo....maybe I should paint the LR to match it! Or go up a shade on the strip to BM Sepia Tan? Though I worry that going too far up that strip will put me into peachy territory.

Unfortnately, my DH will flip his lid if I want to change the SW Chopsticks in the LR. Not that I haven't done this kind of thing before...and when he saw the entry when it was red, he joked that we should paint the LR that color, and I think he was half serious. If I do paint the LR, I would leave the hallways/stairway as is (Chopsticks) because that would just be too much work. I can do it myself (and knowing DH he might not even notice if it wasn't too different) but he still will roll his eyes at me. And I do have a lot of other projects going on, it's not like I should add another.

Argh! What should I do? Do you think I should just repaint it in Chopsticks, since it's so neutral, and let it be? Should I repaint the LR, even though the BM Guesthouse is a bit too strong to be considered a neutral? Should I go up one shade on the strip to the Sepia Tan, which wouldn't have as much contrast with the Chopsticks (but isn't as rich a color)?

Thanks again for any help -- and if you think this is complicated, wait until we get to my kitchen and master bath paint color choices, oy.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!