SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canarybird01

Canary Islands wins Best Cheese in the World Award

canarybird01
15 years ago

In October, a Canary Island co-operative won the Best Cheese in the World award beating out the other three finalists, including Canada for its Queso Arico Curado Pimenton, a goats' cheese which has been made for many years on these islands.

The awards, which are held yearly, were held in Dublin, Ireland this year. Next year they will be held in Canary Islands.

Here is a link which details more, and includes this comment:

"The Queso Arico Curado Pimenton cheese is made using the milk of Canary Island goats and animal rennet, which is then pressed and regularly brushed with paprika and gofio, a powdered cereal, before being matured for around six months."

I was lucky enough to find some of this cheese after I had heard about the award. It was quite expensive but I found it to be really lovely and tangy.

It will go nicely with some crackers and other nibbles at our Christmas Eve buffet.

If you have a chance to find some, I can recommend it as a lovely cheese. I bought the semi-cured (semi-curado).

Here are photos I took. It looks like the company that wrapped this piece ran out of the 2008 gold stickers, because they have used one from two years ago, when the awards were held in London. LOL.

An interesting anecdote, which I heard from a Spanish friend who was listening to the judging results on the radio is that the judges first announced this as a winning French cheese. Since the sources of the cheese are anonymous for the judging, the judges were sure that this was a French cheese.

The entrants had to prove their source as being Canary Island Spanish and not French. LOL.

SharonCb

Comments (8)