SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sally2_gw

As heard on NPR - Poppy Seed Cookies

sally2_gw
11 years ago

A few weeks ago I heard a segment on All Things Considered about an old favorite cookie recipe called Poppy Seed Cookies. It was part of their found recipes series, and presented by the Brass sisters, who research and write about heirloom recipes. It was a delightful story, the Brass sisters are wonderful, and I was talked into making these cookies. The woman that told about her history with them made them sound out of this world delicious.

So, I made them yesterday, and the unanimous opinion amongst my family is meh. Bland. I was so disappointed. I still have lots of dough left to bake, and wonder if I could possible do something to help them, like maybe roll them in sugar rubbed with lemon zest, or put icing on them, or what. The dough is thick and sticky. The recipe follows.

Aunt Ida's Poppy Seed Cookies

Our Aunt Ida baked this cookie for more than 60 years, to the delight of four generations of our family, transporting them to parties in covered tins. We baked these cookies and served them at Aunt Ida's memorial gathering after her funeral since this recipe is part of her legacy. She always stored her poppy seeds in the freezer to keep them fresh.

3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup poppy seeds
1 cup peanut oil
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Set the oven rack in the middle position. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cover a 14 X 16-inch baking sheet with foil, shiny side up. Coat the foil with vegetable spray or use a silicone liner.
Sift together flour and baking powder; add poppy seeds.
Separately, whisk peanut oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Add sifted dry ingredients and mix to combine. Chill the dough in the refrigerator one hour, or until firm enough to handle.

With floured hands or wearing disposable gloves, break off teaspoon-size pieces of dough and roll into small balls. Place dough balls on baking sheet about 2 inches apart, or 12 cookies per sheet. Pat into circles with your fingers (rather than rolling or stamping). Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned around edges. Let cookies cool 1 minute on baking sheet on rack and then transfer cookies to a rack. Cookies will become crisp as they cool.

Store between sheets of wax paper in a covered tin or freeze in a tightly sealed plastic bag or container.
Yield: 60 cookies

Sally

Comments (5)