SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alphagd

Larger twin tank softener sizing ...

AlphaG
13 years ago

I have some understanding of how to size softeners based on previous experience DIYing 3 units for myself and family, as well as from all the great information available on the web, including from posters in this forum. Twin tank softeners are a bit different, but I think I have a general clue ... ie I'm not clueLESS. :)

But ... I'd like to verify my thoughts with those of you with more knowledge and experience before I pull the trigger on a big twin tank unit.

Some background first. Some relevant info:

5.5 bathrooms, possibly expanding in a year or two to 7 + 2 half baths, though the added baths will probably not be used much. Of the additional baths, one will be a guest bath, one will be a common bath (will be used often, but use will probably be decreased to nearly zero in the existing half bath), and the extra half bath will be in a workshop.

1 jacuzzi that is rarely used, but the faucet here has a huge amount of flow. I will have to calculate flow here, as I'm not entirely sure about SFR.

Kitchen and bar sinks have hard water plumbed. The builder was of the opinion that hard water is better for cooking than softened water. These will not contribute to SFR.

4 adults, 3 children

Aquarium uses about 25-30 gpd.

Limestone aquifer water:

I'm figuring 20gpg as per previous water quality reports. The current 2010 report is 18gpg. 0-0.0139ppm Fe. 0-0.0037ppm Mn. Effectively zero for both.

I figure 9k grains per day in use. 2.5 cubic feet of Purolite Sst60 would give me 45k grains when charged with 4 pounds per cuft per Purolite's specifications. So 5 days worth of capacity for 10 pounds of salt. Not bad at all. SFR for this much regular resin is 18 gpm, but this should be around 50% better with the Sst60 if I'm reading the data correctly on Purolite's specifications page.

Should I use a turbulator on each of the two tanks?

I wanted to use the Fleck 9100SXT controller because it is electronically metered and I hear more programmable, but was a little worried about it being 3/4".

I was going to parallel two 20" big blue sediment filters also with 5 micron filters. I would put pressure gauges before and after.

Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks ...

Comments (14)