SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michaelmaxp

ham help

michaelmaxp
16 years ago

I'm sure ham questions have come up before but I havn't seen them. Jessy, feel free to jump in at any time...

I've enjoyed ham typically over the years but I've never really paid close attention to it. The family wants me to do a big ham feast for Christmas so I've been studying a bit.

Briefly what I've learned as far as quality is 1st choice Ham with Natural juices, 2nd choice Ham with Water Added, and number 3 is Ham and Water Product.

I've decided to go with Bone-in Ham in Natural juices. I want the Bone-in and not spiral cut to get the best texture and purest hunk of meat that hasn't been cut into, stretched, split, etc to remove the bones and I assume that this will cut down moisture loss as well. This may be a waste of time but I'm funny that way and I don't mind carving challenges.

What I'm not clear on though is the differences between Honey Cured, Honey cured and Smoked, Sugar cured, and sugar cured and smoked. I've read a little about it but it's hard to tell what might be the optimum choice for Christmas dinner.

I'm looking for some personal experience and opinions. I have a lot of choices for shopping; all of the major groceries, central market, the big warehouse stores, and a couple custom meat markets, so finding what I'm after shouldn't be too big of a problem.

Ok kids, lemme have it!

michaelp

Comments (15)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH