SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

I'm a Ham! :) - pictures

rosemaryt
13 years ago

Yesterday, I took the test to be a Ham Radio operator, Technician license. And I *passed*!!! I'm so happy! Man oh man, I did *NOT* find the test easy. I've read where people say the technician class license was easy-sneezy - but not for me! I studied intensely for four days, and was still nervous as a cat when I went to take THE TEST.

Overall, the test day was a fun experience because apparently, Ham Radio is mostly men. When I showed up, some of those guys looked at me like my hair was on fire. A couple fellows really did have the deer in the headlights look.

We were seated at large round tables and the examiner asked that "two or three people" sit at each table. At first, no one would sit with me! It was like being the odd kid in high school all over again. Then a couple nice gents (latecomers) came in and sat at the "Lady" table.

One of the examiners told me, "We don't see many women in here..."

I asked one of the guys if many women were involved in ham radio in Hampton Roads and he said, "Yes, my wife helps out when we have get-togethers." I thought that was pretty funny. I wanted to ask if my husband could help in the kitchen at the next get-together. ;)

When I saw all those guys, I started really sweating because I thought - if I don't pass this test, that'll be a blow to all of womankind!

Out of 35 questions, I got 33 right! I passed!

BTW, here's a sample of the questions:

What are the names of the two electrodes of a diode?

A. Plus and minus

B. Source and drain

C. Anode and cathode

D. Gate and base

What is the function of a mixer in a superheterodyne receiver?

A. To reject signals outside of the desired passband

B. To combine signals from several stations together

C. To shift the incoming signal to an intermediate frequency

D. To connect the receiver with an auxiliary device, such as a TNC

What type of filter should be connected to a TV receiver as the first step in trying to prevent RF overload from a nearby 2 meter transmitter?

A. Low-pass filter

B. High-pass filter

C. Band-pass filter

D. Band-reject filter

Below is a picture of a Sears Avondale with a Ham radio antenna in Litchfield, Illinois. The best of both worlds - Ham Radio and Sears Homes!!! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Official Ham Radio site

Comments (23)

• lydia1959
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Congratulations Rosemary!! You're an amazing woman (seriously!!)! Sorry the men treated you that way.

• phyllis__mn
    13 years ago

Good job; I loved the "best of both worlds" photo.

• Related Discussions

I'm a newbie and my seedlings are dying... Any help? (Pictures)

Q

Comments (4)
    It sounds like the roots are saturated, which will eventually result in a condition called root-rot. This is caused by poor drainage or too much water. The end result is that the roots are unable to draw in nutrients, which will gradually starve the plant. Be sure to only water when the soil dries out. I water my seedlings once or twice per week at most. I wait until the soil is dry to the touch. I then water deeply, ensuring water runs out of the drainage hole. This seems to keep the plants healthy, and also helps prepare them for similar conditions outdoors. Finally, never fertilize seedlings until they have developed their fourth set of leaves. The salt content that is present in most commercial fertilizers can burn the roots. If you use a fertile potting medium, fertilization is not needed at the early stages of growth.
    ...See More

soup to make with ham and ham bone

Q

Comments (13)
    We love this Broccoli Ham and Cheddar Soup. Does this sound like something that might appeal to you and your family? I usually double or even quadruple the recipe as it freezes well. I use home made broth rather than a bullion cube though. As the recipe notes, it's very flexible in the amounts of ham, mushroom and broccoli you can add so if you have a lot of ham go ahead and throw in extra. Here is a link that might be useful: Broccoli Ham and Cheddar Soup
    ...See More

Can I use a smoked ham in place of canned ham?

Q

Comments (11)
    Hello, just wanted to tell you that I made this recipe (with your help - thank you!!) I cut down the celery to 4 stalks, used an 8 oz jar of relish, left out the hot sauce, used smoked ham cut up fine, added a bit of mayo ....AND IT WAS GREAT! Thank you for all your help! As I noted, I don't cook much and I made these for a party for 40 people. The wraps are all gone, they went quickly, were easy to make and looked nice on the plate. They one thing I was add to the recipe was to make sure you roll the wraps tightly, and "seal" the end with a bit of cream cheese to make sure the wrap stays closed. I cut the wraps about an hour before the party, put them on a platter with sprigs of parsley as garnish, then back in the fridge. T'was easy, good & nice addition to lots of cheese & veggie platters. Thank you again for your advice, it is very much appreciated!
    ...See More

Please,Hello, do I need to plant these deeper? I'm at a loss( Pictures

Q

Comments (8)
    Zack, when you say 'compost', what kind do you mean? I have seen some that holds water like mud....The kind you make yourself or dehydrated manure which tends to stay wet a lot? Do they even sell compost that would fit the bill that I could amend both areas tomorrow? They are still both almost dormant, not leafing out yet....I'm guessing I should use peat, maybe perlite, the yard soil and compost? Funny, we don't get enough rain any more in summers, always in drought in which I have to hand water, yet it seems it still has to drain well.. As you can tell, it's my first time growing any rose since the only one I had since last year, and that one did not fare well..Thank you
    ...See More
  • alisande
    13 years ago

Good for you!!! What inspired you to do this?

My son has been a ham radio operator since he was 14. By now (he's 32) he's taken all the tests and has his advanced license. Over the years he's asked me several times to get my license. I love the idea, but don't want another activity to distract me from what I'm supposed to be doing: writing.

We go to a bunch of hamfests every summer, where we see quite a variety of people. Not too many women with their licenses, and not too many young people. Some professorial types, some computer geek types, and several . . . um . . . eccentrics. :-)

Every March my DS and DIL drive down to Maryland to attend a big hamfest for several days. He's given workshops in satellite communication.

Here's my son dismantling a tower in NJ a few years ago. He brought it home and set it up here.

I tried (unsuccessfully) to sell some "ham radio art" on eBay recently. Here's the 120' tower my DS built completely on his own. The only help he had was an excavator to dig the holes for the cement anchors for the wires.

And a passing resident:

At this point my property is an antenna farm! Even my TV antenna sits on a ham radio tower way above the house. Best TV reception I've had in years.

Have fun with your license!! If you need advice on where to look online for used equipment, etc., I'm sure I can find out for you.

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

Great - now are you going to erect a tower behind your house or will you be able to get decent reception without one?

• bee0hio
    13 years ago

Well a big congratulations, Rosemary!

(I wanna know the answers to the sample questions you posted. LOL)

• Georgysmom
    13 years ago

Congrats. I was totally surprised by the post and pictures. I expected to see some pictures of you "hamming" it up. Not a Ham tower and house. LOL

• chisue
    13 years ago

It would appear that Ham-sters (?) could use more normal folks (and females) added to the mix. Susan's son and Rosemary appear quite unlike the Ham Hermits I imagine living inside the three antenna-bedecked houses I see. These houses are sealed up, with every window shuttered and draped, yards bare of plantings, exteriors with flaking paint. (Perhaps a warning to me about how much time *I* am spending online! lol)

Nice going, Rosemary!

• rosemaryt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I'm just now getting my feet wet in this and it's all pretty fascinating.

My motives for doing this are:

1) Radio was my first love. When I was 14, I attended a special vocational school and I took broadcasting and got my FCC 3rd class radio operator's license.

2) I find radio fascinating, and I would love to learn more about how Ham Radio works.

3) I saw the movie "Testament" about 25 years ago and realized that the real hero of the movie was the old man who was a ham radio operator. I think with all the talk of an internet kill switch and all of us so dependent on so many delicate electronic modes of communication (cell phones and such), that it's wise to know how to use a Ham Radio in times of emergency (natural emergency or terrorist troubles). During Katrina, the Ham Radio operators were the helpers. I find that very appealing.

4) Learnin' is fun! :)

Oh - Bee asked the answers:

What are the names of the two electrodes of a diode? *Anode and Cathode.

What is the function of a mixer in a superheterodyne receiver? *To shift the incoming signal to an intermediate frequency

What type of filter should be connected to a TV receiver as the first step in trying to prevent RF overload from a nearby 2 meter transmitter? *Band-reject filter

Now I need to buy a Ham Radio and find a Ham Club and hook up with someone who knows about this stuff. I passed the test, but honestly, I don't feel like I know anything about operating a Ham Radio!

Here is a link that might be useful: More about the movie

• alisande
    13 years ago

Rosemary, I recently started reading a book entitled On the Air With Ham Radio: Your Guide to the Fascinating Ways Hams Communicate!. It's supposed to be for beginners, but it's a little too technical for me. However, you passed the test, so you'd probably breeze through the book. Finding a group is a terrific idea, though!

I have another movie suggestion: "Frequency." The somewhat supernatural plot centers around ham radio. Good movie!

• alisande
    13 years ago

Oh, and PS: Rosemary, earlier today I left you a little message in the "I'll Show You Mine......" thread. :-)

• kacram
    13 years ago

yea! I got the answers right!

congratualtions!

woohoo!

• Marcia Thornley
    13 years ago

Why am I having so much trouble logging in? Took me 6 tries.
    Anyway, this is a pic of my Brother while operating in Barbados on the tower. When there he is 8P9DX In Canada VA3DX
    He loves contests so we would go to Barbados each year while he operated in a contest there.

• lazypup
    13 years ago

rosemaryt- First off, let me give you a hearty pat on the back and a warm welcome to ham radio. I have been a ham operator since 1974 and as was mentioned to you by the guys where you took your test, we don't see many ladies in the hobby, not meaning to say that ladies are not welcome.

Although the test requirements are not nearly what they were 30 years ago, none the less, I think you will agree that they are still very technically oriented and something that most ladies don't seem to find interesting.

Allow me to offer you some information that you will find very helpful to get more involved in the hobby.

The American Radio Relay League (ARRL) at 225 Main Street, Newington, Conn, is sort of the headquarters of amateur radio.

They have a website at www.arrl.org

You can browse the website and get a good overview of all the features and opportunities in ham radio.

I would recommend that you hit the "contact us" button and send them an email.

In your email tell them you have your "ticket" (license) and give them your call sign.

Tell them this is all new to you and you would like information of finding an "ELMER" and a list of local clubs in your area.

In ham radio an "Elmer" is a ham radio operator who volunteers to take you under their arm and guide you along, through the exams, helping you decide what kind of equipment you need, help you set it up and get you on the air. In most cases the Elmers will have you come to their shack and operate some of their equipment so you can see and feel how it works. Believe me, if you just set out to find the equipment on your own it is scary. Some of the new top end HF gear costs as much as a lear jet, but you don't need that. In fact, you can get up and running for about $150, but once you get into the hobby, the sky is the limit, but then maybe that is not so either because I have talked to two space shuttles and the international space station...LOL

If I can help you in any way please do not hesitate to email me at LazyPup@yahoo.com

Your friend lazypup--KC8UXZ general class

Back in the 70's I drove truck and here is a pic of me sitting at my radio bench when I first came in after 6weeks on the road.

Notice there is no microphone in that shack, I was sending morse code, which is still my favorite mode of operation

• nicole__
    13 years ago

Interesting! and congratulations! I like electronics so this is facinating.....

• rosemaryt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yoo-hoo - Mr. Lazy Pup, I sent you an email but didn't hear back. I have just a couple quick questions.

Rose

• ruthieg__tx
    13 years ago

My husband and I are both hams and have many many friends. There are not as many women as men in the hobby but trust me when I tell you that there are lots and lots of women. I hold a General class ticket and my husband is an Extra. I took my test back in the days when you couln't pass unless you copied Morse code at 13 words per minute. My husband copies at around 35 words per minute ..He is very good at it. We have a tower in our back yard that is 130 feet high and he just finished a contest where he talked to people all over the world. We have lots of friends who travel the world setting up stations to work in contests, lots of them are women. {{gwi:1602442}}

• ruthieg__tx
    13 years ago

Here is a link I forgot to add to my post. You can get any info you need or want through this organization and there are probably local clubs nearby.....We have lived in many places and have always had a local club that we enjoyed. Many of the non ham spouses are active in our club too. The President of our club is a woman and one of the better operators is a woman....so don't sell the women short. We have members also from High School kids to a 95 year old...It's a nice hobby.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Radio Relay League

• ruthieg__tx
    13 years ago

Sorry I didn't notice you had linked to the ARRl.....Here is our club web page.......

Here is a link that might be useful: HCARC

• ruthieg__tx
    13 years ago

Ps .....I didn't say congratulations. It really is an accomplishment. I told my DH that you had just become a ham and he said to Congratulate you as well. Our friend Ann WA1S is a world renowned Morse Code Contester. She travels all over the world.....

Congrats Again .......It isn't an easy test and you deserve a pat on the back.

Are you ready for me to shut up yet?

• alisande
    13 years ago

Ruthie, I knew about your DH, but I didn't realize you were a Ham, too. I'm impressed with all you guys!

• lazypup
    13 years ago

Rosemary,
    You already did the hard part, now you are off in search of the fun part...

After you passed your test the volunteer examiner sent your application with their endorsement to the FCC (Federal Communications Commission). Within about 2 to 4 weeks you will receive a letter from the FCC with your actual license. Your call sign will be printed on the license form. When you get the letter from the FCC you will see that is has both a Station License, which should be framed and hung in your radio shack, and a wallet size that you must have on your person when operating ham radio transmitters.

Now to answer your question on how to find an Elmer.

Contact the ARRL via email and tell they you just passed your test, still awaiting your "Ticket" and you would like ot meet an elmer or get info on the local radio club in your area.

Contact the volunteer examiner who gave you your exam. He/she will be able to set you up with somebody or at least tell you when & where your local Ham Radio Club meets.

Stop by your local Red Cross chapter house and talk to their emergency service director. Whenever a major disaster occurs generally the local electrical service and commercial commnunications systems are knocked out so the Red Cross works very close with hams to be able to get a commincations network up and running immediately. In addition to home stations most hams have radio equipment in their vehicles so if a disaster occurs a ham could drive up and provide world wide commnunications within moments. In fact, after most major disasters the only news we get for the first day or two is via ham radio.

Now to answer your question, where do you get the equipment? Sadly, due to the high cost of the equipment and the limited market ham radio dealers are few and far beteen.

When the FCC issues your license they will also notify a number of dealers who will be sending you catalogs, but I would strongly advise you to hold off buying anything until you meet someone who can help you select what you need.

For the moment I would encourage you to look for a 2meter Hand Held Transceiver. With that you could add a mobile cigarette light cord and a mobile antenna, then you could use that radio both as a hand held portable or a mobile in your car. You could also get a small 12volt power supply and a base antenna and use that radio at home.

You can find brand new 2meter handheld transceivers on Ebay for about $150 to $200 and that would be all you need to get started. (I would not encourage you to buy a used radio on Ebay until you know a bit more about them, but if you meet someone in your local club who has a used rig they will sell cheap ask them to give you a working demonstration and if it works grab it.)

When you contact the ARRL you should also order a copy of the ARRL Repeater Directory.

The ARRL Repeater Directory is a small vest pocket sized book that lists all the VHF & UHF repeaters in the USA. You can then look up locations near where you live, or along your route when traveling and find the operating frequencies of the repeater towers. VHF & UHF is what is called "line of sight" communications, which means your range is to the optical horizon plus about 20%. In order to extend the range we have a newtwork of repeaters set up on high elevations or towers which will allow you an average of 75miles or more with a simple hand held radio. Keep in mind that is 75miles from you to the tower but you could also be talking to someone that is 75miles from the opposite side for a total of 150miles (In open terraine such as Texas, Oklahoma or the southwestern desert the range is sometimes 300 miles or more.)

Actually hams started using repeaters back in the late 50's and it took ma bell well into the 80's before they copied the technology to give us cell phones. In fact, nearly all ham repeaters have a "Phone Patch". You key your transmitter and say...This is (your call sign) opening the patch, then hit the * on your radio keypad. Release your transmit button and you will hear a dialtone, now key your radio, punch in a phone number for a phone that is within the local dialing range of the tower and you make a phone call, then when finished you announce you are closing the patch and hit the # key, the patch is off.

The limitation is that the number you call must be a local number from the repeater tower and it must be a personal phone. You may not call a business, but the up side is, the call is free..

Actually it is not exactly free. In ham radio it is considered a matter of respect to be a member of your local "Repeater Association" at about $30/yr (the ham radio club) and it is an unwritten rule that when your traveling you may use another clubs repeater.

• rosemaryt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have a call sign! I'm KK4APV.

Now how cool is that? I just showed up on the FCC database. I am a legal girl.

BTW, thanks so much for the wonderful comments.

Ruthie, what a surprise to hear that you have your General license. I'm going for that in about 30 days. What inspired you to do that?

So interesting the thing you learn about the ladies here at KT. So very interesting!!! :)

Rose, or as I'll soon be known: KK4APV

Man, I love the sound of that.

:)

• jemdandy
    13 years ago

Nice towers you got, but those do make good lightening rods. So, how do you handle the lightening strike problem? I've hesitated putting up an elevated TV antenna at my house due to numerous strikes we get in the summer.

I was going to put in an attic aerial, but decided I did not want a strike through the roof to the antenna. Almost every tree near my house has been hit.