SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtundermyfingers

Swedish Krubs, or Kropkkakors ( off shoot of potatoe pancakes)

dirtundermyfingers
13 years ago

Thought that I would share a family tradition and recipe with everyone. My family is 90% Swedish and Krubs are a family tradition passed on from my great great grandparents. To start out peal 10 pounds of potatoes, You then cube and grind in a hand grinder, I make a tube of tulle from the craft store, to hold the potatoes as I grind them.

I just use the cheap tulle from the fabric department, it is only a dollar or so a yard. I make a tube of it over lapping the long side, tying off the one end with a rubber band and using a rubber band to attach it to the grinder. I don't reuse them just because it is so cheap to make them. It is amazing when you soak in water and squeeze them out how much dark water comes out of them. Soak the bags of ground potatoes in a bowl of water with ice.

My grandma had been making them for 50 years until another Swedish relative gave her the hint. It is really great so you don't have to rush in the mixing and making. We call them Krubs, I think that the swedish word is Krapkakors or something like that.

Take the tubes of ground potatoes and squeeze the extra water out of them. i also rince them under cold running water and repeat the squeezing.You mix the ground potatoes, evaporated milk and flour to make a dough.The dough should be firm but will be sticky. Add enough flour to firm up the dough, and add 2 cans evaporated milk. You chop up onions, ham, and bacon and season with plenty of salt and pepper.

You take a handfull of the potato mixture, make a large ball around the size of a baseball and make a well in the middle and fill it with the meat and onion mixture. Then you carefully roll them and cover the well with the dough making a kind of filled dumpling. Make sure that there is a thick covering of dough over the filling.Then you drop them in boiling water until they firm up and rise to the top. I then let them cool on waxed paper,They should be firm to the touch and will feel a little sticky when they are done boiling. and then freeze. Now if you have some of them open up and some filling start to escape, we always considered that a bonus, we would cool and then fry them as a snack while we were finishing the rest of the Krubs. Another hint is to use one of the metal spatula spoons that you use in frying foor to remove them from the boiling water.

To serve, slice the frozen dumplings in 1 inch slices and fry in butter in a hot skillet. Fry them until they are a golden brown color.The dumplings should be a little bigger than fist sized. One way to eat them is just plain after frying, or my families favorite is to fry them and then add milk and mush up the krubs a little bit.

Glad to share a great family tradition:) These are so very good, it has been passed down through the family for 6 generations, even the little ones love them.

Stacie

Comments (4)