SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gellchom

help quick! potato pancake batter turned very dark

gellchom
13 years ago

GW friends, I need your rescue --

Okay so this Sunday I am hosting a little cast party for a play I was in. It's Chanuka, so I thought I would make latkes. I could have up to 20 people, so I wanted to make them ahead and freeze and reheat (works great -- ask if you want instructions).

So last night I ground up 24 potatoes and 4 onions and mixed them with the eggs, flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. The potatoes turn kind of pink as I grind them (I used the KA grinder attachment), but the baking powder seems not only to keep them from turning color, but to un-pink them, as it were, as I went along.

Anyway, it got LATE. It was almost 11:30 when I finished making the batter (don't know what I was thinking). I am not all that graceful in the kitchen to begin with -- I use a lot of band-aids -- so I figured starting to fry 60 latkes was not a great idea. I covered the batter with plastic wrap (it's in a plastic bowl) and refrigerated it.

This morning ... it's almost BLACK. Yikes.

I really don't want to start all over. Is there anything I can do to restore the color or even lighten it a little?

Thanks!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022