SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
munkos

Assembly Bill 1634 - California.

munkos
16 years ago

I keep a close eye on harriers for rescue/adoption and when I checked the page this morning, I found links to a law they're trying to pass in California.

Any dog or cat over 4 months of age MUST be spayed or neutered unless the owner qualifies for and obtains an intact animal permit.

This seems rediculous to me. For one, it's a law that isn't at all going to be enforced. How can it be? Will they go to every home and make sure every pet has been spayed and neutered if it is over 4 months of age? Not likely. The people who will get nailed will be the ones who's dogs/cats get taken into the pound/shelter, or found on the streets.

So it's the responsible breeders and pet owners, and people who show their animals, that get punished and have to do more work to keep doing what they do.

Sure it would be good to stop horrible irresponsible backyard breeders, maybe. But if you can't prove someone has or hasn't spayed/neutered their pets, it won't stop much of anything. People will keep breeding, people will continue to not spay/neuter, and more people will cast their animals onto the street because they can't afford to surgery or the fine. It won't keep shelters empty, they'll still be full.

Not to mention many, many pet owners and vets alike feel that 4 months of age is too young to spay or neuter.

Obviously it would never happen, because god forbid anyone responsible ever be rewarded, but I think a reward program, or money back program, would encourage people more than the threat of a fine. Especially those who can't afford the surgery, due to whatever unforseen circumstances.

Anyways, I will leave a link so everyone can check it out, and see what can be done. It's already passed it's first reading, and now going to the senate. I'm not from california, or even the US, but I still think its rediculous.

Here is a link that might be useful: AKC information on AB 1634.

Comments (15)