SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamie1s

Just do it living room decision?

Jamie
11 years ago

I'm on the verge of action and making a final plea to be tipped in one direction or another.

Here is my living room, standing near hall door, looking counterclockwise around the room. It is the only living room in the house.

[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/ayrs5c.jpg[/IMG]

alt="Image and video hosting by TinyPic">

alt="Image and video hosting by TinyPic">

1. Paint color is SW compatible cream and new and not changing.
2. I like the whitish drapes. I may get better quality ones at some point, but they will likely be whitish.
3. Thr big cabinet will be gone in a couple of months. Right now it is holding my dishes and barware, which will go to the DR.
4. I wanted loveseats to flank the fireplace. This would work for fire gazing, conversation, or watching tv on the opposite wall.I felt this was an egalitarian setup for me and DH, and I like the way it makes all four walls of the room feel alive and working, instead of everything oriented in one direction, which makes me feel cut off and dead-ended in some subtle way -- less free.
Also, I got 2 little tables -- one pictured-- from my mother, which would be twin coffee tables. Two small ones reinforce that sense of circulating all around, unblocked, which I like. (maybe this is the appeal of open concept houses, which I don't normally appreciate because while I do like to feel free, seeing everything at once doesn't make me feel liberated --I like to change rooms and change views.)

5. I found the small loveseats you see, and I thought I'd use them as they were (just do it!), but I decided the stripes looked unsettling once all the books were on the shelves. So I purchased the fabric roll you see here.
It is Robert Allen modern felt, and I like the color. The walls, floor and upholstery will all be monochromatic, but with enough tone and texture variation to be comfortable. I like that look for this space. My vision for the room was to create a sense of calm and space by flanking the fireplace with undersized, nonfat loveseats and lamps that peak below the level of the mantle. Before I take the plunge, donate the big Lillian August sofa which you can actually lay down on, and recover the loveseats, I'd like your opinion on other options.

1. I could dump the loveseats and put the sofa where the TV is. This would mean rigging up some kind of a TV arm inside the lowest shelf of the left bookcase. That seems awkward, but I think awkward TV placement is kind of accepted in these older houses. (But I dread the prospect of figuring out what to do and then finding someone to do it. We've had workers in here for soooo long, and none of them are all that good. ) I would then cover the sofa with the roll fabric you see. I don't like this layout as much, but is it better? The sense of open space would then be in the middle of the room, instead of all around you. Do you see important reasons to do this, as opposed to the floating loveseats? The advantage of keeping the couch is that we've had it forever and it is nicer than the loveseats.

2. I could get rid of both the loveseats and the sofa and get new 8-way, partial down loveseats covered in the indoor sunbrella fabric you see in the small sample. My issue with the potential new loveseats is that the English arm that Carolinachair creates lacks the slight curve or dip that I think it "should" have.This bugs me as a theoretician, but I'm not sure it would continue to bug me to live with. The potential new loveseats are only 58" long, which is hard to find, and I could have the height reduced a bit, so the scale is good. Neither of these qualities is easy to find in a moderately priced loveseat with appropriate fabric choices. The arm issue difference could be called subtle, depending on your view of these things. Purchasing these new loveseats would cost about 50% more than reupholstering the striped ones, which have sinuous springs and no down. (To anyone who cares, I just felt under the loveseats and could easily tell about the springs.)

This is the carolinachair arm:

This is what a good arm looks like:

The loveseat with the good arm costs 30% more and I'm not willing to pay it. Neither option offers much savings for using my fabric, especially once I pay to ship it.

Now that I have already purchased the fabric, found upholsters, and realized that the sofa is not going to sell, I am ready to act.

What should I do?

This post was edited by jamies on Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 14:45

Comments (11)