SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
becca1206

Why do the sediment filters clog after a few uses of water?

becca1206
17 years ago

We live in a river bottom near Meredosia, IL and we have a sandpoint for our source of water. We have extremely high amount of iron in our water along with iron bacteria. We had Culligan install a chlorination system with a chemical feed tank, a holding tank, a standard filter housing and then it feeds to our water softener and to the rest of the house. A 10 micron carbon filter (2 7/8 x 10 in. approx.) lasts about two baths and MAYBE one load of clothes, then it clogs to the point of NO water coming out. A 20 micron lasts maybe 4 or 5 days if you don't do too much washing. I installed a 30 micron sediment filter yesterday and it clogged in about 3 or 4 hours. I had done 5 or 6 loads of wash and ran the dishwasher in between two loads. When we took that filter out, there were little black "things" in the bottom of the filter housing. They were the size of sand but it wasn't sand. We poured them on a coffee filter and when I spread them out, it was just like BLACK mud. Did the water in the holding tank not have enough time to settle in between washings, or should we have an inline "bubble" filter before it hits the holding tank? What should we do? We are going to put our house up for sale in a few months, and carbon filters are too expensive to have to replace every 4 or 5 days.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH