SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
francoise47

What does 'PA soapstone' mean?

francoise47
13 years ago

Hi All,

I'm leaning toward a soapstone called "PA" with delicate traces of spidery veins. (I'm also loving a sample of Cobra I, but that is for a different post.) I first saw what I think is the same stone in Mary in NC's beautiful kitchen on GW. It is supposed to be one of the harder varieties of soapstone. My samples feel hard and are almost impossible to scratch. The fabricator/stone yard said they came from Brazil.

But, I am confused by the name. Does anyone know why it is called "PA"? Or, is it "P.A."? Or "PA Original"? Does the "PA" stand for something? Some people on GW have referred to their soapstone as "Green Mountain Original PA". Is this the same thing? If so, why is it called "Green Mountain" when it all seems to come from Brazil? Why did the adorable and super helpful saleswoman at M. Texeira tell my DH yesterday that she had never heard of "PA"? And one final question, do the two big guns in the industry, Dorado and Texeira, have totally different names for the same soapstones? For example, Texeira's Santa Rita seems to be the same as Dorado's Minas. If that is the case, what would be the Texeira name for "PA"?

Hoping some of the soapstone obsessed on GW will share their expertise-- thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mary in nc's kitchen on GW

Comments (31)